Ability to import headings using styles

04-20-2022 09:22 AM
Labels (1)
KAKS
by
New Contributor II

I manage a large database of geologic information that includes over 50 different rock lithologies, broken into subcategories using >10 headings in the contents page-> symbology. These groupings are necessary for the legend in the layout and also in the map to examine and interpret data.  I have put together a style with polygon symbols for each lithology type, but if I change the style (e.g., update the color) and re-apply, I lose those headings and once again have a long list of unique values, sorted by name or some other meaningless index. It would be great to have a way to have the heading information, and (bonus) the desired order of values stored in the style so that when I re-apply the style to the polygon layer the headings come up automatically. I've looked into the style dictionary- awesome concept- but it seems to be more about dialing in symbols based on attributes rather than organizing the list of symbols in the table of contents. Thanks!

3 Comments
ZihanSong

Hello KAKS,

Could you share more information about how do you apply the styles to unique values? By using the "Match Layer Symbology To A Style" GP tool?

Thanks,

Zihan

KAKS
by
Hi Zihan-
Yes, I apply the style using the GP tool “map layer symbology to a style”. Is there a better way to apply a style?
Thank you!
ZihanSong

Hi KAKS,

Yes, that tool is recommended when you have tons of unique values and also matching styles. I was trying to understand your workflow, now I totally get it and will take a look at this, thanks!

Thanks,

Zihan