A measure tool for page units in Layout

09-09-2022 12:11 PM
Labels (1)
ColtonPercy
New Contributor II

I have been making poster sized maps for print and I do a lot of manual labeling. It would be nice to have a measure tool to measure page units on the Layout. It is easy to measure distances and areas in map unit on the map frame but sometimes I need to measure the distance between two elements on the layout to determine the real world distance between them. 

5 Comments
feralcatcolonist_old

Yeah I could see this being super useful, especially if it was able to combine some protractor/angles into it as well. I feel like my own cartography is very much manhattan-esque because I don't like to casually do trigonometry whilst map-making -- --I also find myself arbitrarily following the guides at full inches because it is such a pain to do mathematics for the smaller tick-marks. I end up counting them out loud and it feels a lot like counting with my fingers.

feralcatcolonist_0-1662751892414.png

feralcatcolonist_0-1662752889344.png

feralcatcolonist_1-1662752904869.png

wayfaringrob

Yes, this would be really nice.

To @feralcatcolonist_old's point, I totally get your pain. in the ArcMap days, I would finish up nearly every map in Illustrator, but since Pro makes it a bit easier to work with layouts (and made .ai/.aix all but impossible to use), I find myself doing a lot of my design work in there. Still, it's lacking some fundamental graphic design features, like powerful size & positioning components. As a workaround in your case, I often find myself using lines and other graphics as a 'ruler' or spacer.

RoseF
by

This would be something we could use immediately. Again, it's mostly for cartographic purposes (our leader lines shouldn't be more than 1/4" on the printed page) which are hard to "see" in a Layout View.

Michael_Kraus

It's difficult to use settings that refer to page units - such as duplication distances for labelling or minimum feature size for labelling if there is no measure tool that works on the layout using page units.  Can this idea please be considered for implementation?

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration