3D animation .fbx format in ArcGIS Pro for Point Symbology

08-18-2020 11:44 PM
Labels (1)
JawadhHabeeb
Esri Contributor

It would be great to import .fbx animated 3D models from other softwares like Maya, 3Ds Max .. or Blender and can be used for 3D Point Symbology in ArcGIS Pro. The .fbx animated 3D models can be used to show idle animations, for example, an animated flag, rotating windmill, a Ferris wheel...etc.

3 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi @JawadhHabeeb,

Thanks for submitting this idea. With the release of ArcGIS Pro 2.9, we now support animated marker symbols. You can playback animations stored in glTF files as point markers symbols. I'm happy to report that every example you provided is now supported.

We chose glTF over FBX because it supports the same feature set as FBX and more, it's open source, it's web-friendly, and it has been widely adopted in the last few years for GIS and other industries.

To get started, you can load an animated glTF like you would any 3D model marker. The app will detect the animation and give you extra symbology properties to configure it. You can read more about it in our documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/animate-marker-symbol-layers....

Mati

Jawadh_Habeeb

@Anonymous User 

This is brilliant, totally gonna test this on my simple animated 3d models.

The more realistic the scenes are in ArcGIS Pro, the better. 
I do have some more ideas that can be added to Pro, which I would post as a different subject in ArcGIS Ideas

regards

Jawadh

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented