Select to view content in your preferred language

Generating Routes

07-16-2021 03:28 PM
ГригорийНедаев
New Contributor II

Hi, I have some issues with calibrating some of my routes.

I want to calibrate my routes. So I create LRS and LRS Network. Then I  appended my polyline to Network feature class with "Append Routes" tool and appended calibration points with "Append" tool.
After that I tryed to use "Generate Routes" tool, but for some of my routes I got warnings that calibration points of these routes have errors. I checked them, but cant understand what the problem. They were no duplicates and they were all lying on the polyline.

After that I deleted all the calibration points and tryed to add some of them manually with "add calibration point" tool and I received message "the input measure will result in a non-monotonic route".

Maybe someone has an idea what the problem might be...

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

If you're creating/adding your own calibration points via the Append tool, I would suggest verifying the following attributes are correct and match the routes they're located on: RouteID, From Date, To Date.  You also want to ensure the measure values are populated and will result in the route being strictly increasing in measures.

If you're not able to get your calibration points to work correctly on some routes, you could look at the Generate Calibration Points geoprocessing tool to create calibration points on those routes.

Nathan
ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing team

ГригорийНедаев
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your answer!

I couldn't find the reason, why I can't generate some of my routes, using Append" tool to add my own calibration points, so I deleted everything, chose one of the "broken" routes and did the following.

After using "Append Routes" tool I tryed to use "add calibration point" tool, but I got an error "the input measure will result in a non-monotonic route" and i can't understand why it is happening, because the route don't have any calibration points at all.
When I use Generate Calibration Points geoprocessing tool, it worked, but I need to change measures. For example, Generate Calibration Points tool created 2 points - 0 and 10, but I need to change them to 1390 and 1400. And I still can't do it with "Edit calibration point" tool. The reason is still the same - "the input measure will result in a non-monotonic route".

But when I use Create Routes tool and make the copy of this "broken" routes and work with this copy,  everything is alright. I can add calibration points and can change their measures. Moreower, I was able to do it only because my "broken" route already had measures (those 0 and 10), but i didn't add any calibration points.

I apologize for the slightly incomprehensible explanation.

The main problem is that I don't understand why I can't even manually add calibration points to my routes, but if I make a copy of these routes (make a copy based on centerline geometry), everything is ok. Perhaps there is some error in the algorithm for creating routes, or is it still an error in my data that I can't find?

AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

This is a common issue users run into if the source calibration point data is not in sync with routes data. I believe, you are on the right track with troubleshooting. Review the attributes of the calibration points per Nathan. Also, check the geometry of the route, where you attempted to add calibration points manually. Feel free to post step-by-step screenshots for a closer review.  

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos