Select to view content in your preferred language

What is the appropriate workflow for shifting the position of an existing parcel in the fabric?

10-13-2022 11:34 AM
Labels (1)
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

I have looked everywhere and can't find what I am looking for, most likely because I'm not searching the right terms. I just migrated the parcel fabric this week, so I am still figuring out how the best practices. Here is my problem. 

I received a resurvey of 3 existing parcels that had outdated linework. Nothing was changing as far as adding or merging parcels. Just needed to update the linework to better reflect reality. I shrank the parcels to seeds and deleted the interior lines. I then sketched in the new parcels. The new boundary overlaps an existing parcel. The problem is that that parcel is correct in terms of it's acreage. It just needs to be shifted westward. Here is a screenshot attempting to illustrate the issue. 

MatthewBeal_0-1665685933609.png

I need to shift that parcel westward while preserving the same area, most importantly, the little cutout for the driveway. What is the best way to accomplish this?

19 Replies
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

If so, I'm not familiar with how to do that. I've only used basic topology rules for sliver detection prior to this. I'm not really sure how to go about configuring a setup like that. 

0 Kudos
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

Here is a guide to the topology rules for poly lines in pro. The must be covered (by boundary of or by feature class) options might be a good rule to add for the polylines. This one is for polygon features, and this one is for points.

It's difficult to walk you through it without seeing what you see, but here are instructions for creating geodatabase topology, along with validating and fixing the errors

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

if you're shifting a neighboring parcel westward, the parcels that are on the other side of *that* parcel will be affected as well. 

i would recommend checking the metes and bounds for the surrounding parcels to see if one of them is off as well. you can then select the affected polygons, hit "select parcel features", and then use the move tool to move your parcels around. make sure the topology is turned off, otherwise this won't work.

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

Yes. In this case, the problem parcel is the one next to the parcel with the long easement. It is about 3/4 of an acre too large. That is where discrepancy comes in. I think my main area of confusion is how to handle all of the lines and points. When I disable topology and move the parcel, the lines and points naturally stay where they are. Is the intended workflow to have to manually move each line and point as well? On some larger parcels this could result in quite a few manual movements. I figured that there has to be a way to avoid doing that. 

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

look for the "parcel features" button next to the select button on the ribbon. that will select the lines and points associated with your polygon, then you can manually move everything at once. you have to make sure that they're selectable in the selection TOC, but i do this all the time! it's totally do-able.

another workaround is to have all your points, lines, and polygons associated with a record (most of mine are associated with a corresponding document number from our county clerk) and use the "select features in active record" to select everything for you then move it manually.

AndrewWallick
Frequent Contributor

These are both helpful suggestions that I didn't remember before. Thank you @anna_garrett !

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What about just using the Move tool in the Modify Features pane? In a parcel fabric, this should maintain all the relevant topologically-connected elements like lines and points. With that tool active, hold Ctrl and click to move the yellow "handle" to one of the vertices, as that usually allows for better snapping.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@MDB_GISSeriously, try the Move tool.

ArcGISPro_Y0nfZHe8w2.gif

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hey @MDB_GIS 

I would suggest looking into align parcels.  After you shrank that parcel to seed and corrected the boundary line you could use the Align Parcels, create links and align.  Just also be aware that the features that are selected will be the features that move.  This should maintain that easement that you have.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/parcel-editing/alignparcelfeatures.htm

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

Before shrinking to seed is it recommended to delete all lines associated with that parcel or just the interior ones? Yesterday I was only deleting the interior lines. I'm going to take another stab at it later today and I'm starting to think maybe I should just delete all lines and points associated with the parcels being edited prior to shrinking to seed. 

0 Kudos