Select to view content in your preferred language

Traverse Tool issues

Jump to solution
03-26-2023 05:03 PM
BerndtNording
Occasional Contributor

I'm having some issues using the traverse tool, not sure if these are bugs or "features". I'm using v2.81

Isuue 1: I sometimes loose the polyline, 2PT line, and trace tools that are located below the line where you enter bearing, distance, radius etc. When this happens I can still enter direction and distance, but hitting the enter then moves the cursor to the radius field instead of creating the line. This seems to happen randomly, and the only way to fix it is to restart pro. First picture shows the problem, second one shows the traverse tool as it appears when working properly.

TraverseToolBug2.png

TraverseToolBug2a.png

Issue 2: Sometimes and randomly, usually after I have entered a number of boundary segments, hitting enter to create the next segment I get the little dialog below that pops up for a few seconds and then you have to hit enter again to advance to the next line. While it still works then. this is a really annoying inconsistency in how the tool works since this dialog normally does not pop up and the cursor moves to the next line automatically.

TraverseToolBug.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For the first issue, that happens when the Traverse Tool doesn't have an active template. Click in the space next to the pencil to pick one.

jcarlson_0-1679922504123.png

For the second issue, I think that happens when the "create a single course" step takes a while. Every time you add a new line to the traverse, the tool sort of "walks through" the whole sequence before it gets to the end, briefly activating each line for editing. Do you have any other editing options on like snapping or inferences? I have found that these options minutely delay the tool advancing from one line to the next, and when you have a longer traverse, this can add up enough to cause the issue you're seeing.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For the first issue, that happens when the Traverse Tool doesn't have an active template. Click in the space next to the pencil to pick one.

jcarlson_0-1679922504123.png

For the second issue, I think that happens when the "create a single course" step takes a while. Every time you add a new line to the traverse, the tool sort of "walks through" the whole sequence before it gets to the end, briefly activating each line for editing. Do you have any other editing options on like snapping or inferences? I have found that these options minutely delay the tool advancing from one line to the next, and when you have a longer traverse, this can add up enough to cause the issue you're seeing.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
BerndtNording
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Josh.

That makes sense for the first issue. Haven't been able to try it out because it happens randomly and hasn't happened since I posted. Not sure how I would "lose" the active template.

For the second issue, Yes, I had snapping on but no inferences. My fabric is not very big but the issue is now happening on every line even the first one. Pro is allegedly multi-threaded, but in reality I think there's only two threads, one for the UI (which runs the parts of the tool in the panel) and the other one that does any data manipulation. So I think you're right in that if the data manipulation takes longer then the UI never gets around to advancing.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@BerndtNording 

Please contact technical support if this still happens with the latest ArcGIS Pro version. It could be related to your ArcGIS Enterprise configuration and performance (DBMS, Network, SOCs...)

0 Kudos