parcel fabric updating point geometry

Jump to solution
02-07-2022 07:04 AM
Labels (2)
RobertHolliday
New Contributor III

Good Morning,

In partnership with BLM, my agency maintains Montana's PLSS data in the parcel fabric. We are about to migrate to the ArcGIS Pro based fabric.

I would like to take this opportunity to calculate Z values for PLSS Points (n=2,500,000). I have written code that:

1. Intersect points with elevation services using Extract Values to Points.
  2. Calculates SHAPE@Z using da.UpdateCursor in an FGDB based parcel fabric

Is this a reasonable workflow to implement? I know almost nothing about processing rules when working in the new fabric.

I will appreciate any advice.

--------------

Bob Holliday

Montana State Library

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Bob,

It has been a while and it is great that the State of Montana is moving to Pro. The new parcel fabric "data controller" uses simple feature classes, so you can calculate the Z geometry on your points. Performing the calculation in a file Geodatabase is recommended to avoid the overhead of versioning.

You can also consider using the Update Feature Z geoprocessing tool. 

Either way, I am sure viewing Montana's points in 3D will very appealing.

Regards,

Amir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Bob,

It has been a while and it is great that the State of Montana is moving to Pro. The new parcel fabric "data controller" uses simple feature classes, so you can calculate the Z geometry on your points. Performing the calculation in a file Geodatabase is recommended to avoid the overhead of versioning.

You can also consider using the Update Feature Z geoprocessing tool. 

Either way, I am sure viewing Montana's points in 3D will very appealing.

Regards,

Amir

0 Kudos
RobertHolliday
New Contributor III

Hi Amir,

Thank you for responding. Indeed it has been a while.

I am excited to finally be able to get elevation data on our points. We have good LIDAR coverage, and area covered is growing. We also are continually adding survey control with x, y, and z geometry.

I hadn't considered using 3d analyst to solve the problem. I can do comparison testing pretty quickly.

Again, thanks for responding.

Best,

Bob

0 Kudos