Merge Points: Inconsistent Behavior?

06-12-2023 09:30 AM
Labels (1)
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone encountered this? I use Merge Points in an area where I know the topology is good. No gaps, no overlaps, everything is lined up nicely. The preview shows exactly what I want.

jcarlson_0-1686586874666.png

But when I complete the merge, one of the parcels behaves as though it was the other point, while the rest of the features align properly.

jcarlson_1-1686586923663.png

With more points and parcels involved, the results get even wackier:

jcarlson_2-1686587047488.png

jcarlson_3-1686587069077.png

These examples are easy enough to correct with topological editing tools, but I shouldn't have to do that every time I merge points.

It gets worse. Sometimes the parcels behave as though none of the other vertices are "pinned" by fabric points, even if they are!

jcarlson_4-1686587299389.png

This leads to "alignments" in which the entire parcel is transformed in the same was as the target segment, leaving me with literally every other vertex now being misaligned.

jcarlson_5-1686587376777.png

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Merge Points used to be my favorite tool, now I avoid it like the plague.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
8 Replies
KarinPierce
New Contributor III

I am also seeing this same behavior.  This was my go to tool but no using it.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is Merge Points an important tool that you had been using when cleaning up parcels that were adjacent to new or edited parcels in the fabric?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

it was a useful clean up tool in the ArcMap parcel fabric. 

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

I have encountered this before as well and have since abandoned using the tool. Whatever changes were made absolutely broke it. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@anna_garrett @KarinPierce Glad to hear it's not just me, but sorry you lost the tool, too. Did it coincide with Pro 3.0, or 3.1? I can't recall, honestly.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
anna_garrett

I can't recall either, to be completely fair. Probably 3.0. 

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson @KarinPierce @anna_garrett for reporting this problem. I've reproduced the issue on 3.1.x. It is not reproducible in 3.0.x. We will work to find the cause, identify a solution, and get a fix into the next available patch.

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

This is fixed in the latest patch 3.1.3 that was released today.

ArcGIS Pro 3.1 patch 3 (3.1.3) is now available to download from My Esri.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/the-merge-parcel-points-tool-returns-topology-errors-bug-00015926...

Thank you again for reporting it.

0 Kudos