Line String

Jump to solution
12-10-2020 12:44 PM
Labels (1)
RossHoffmann
New Contributor II

So I haven't been able to find a solution to this, and of course there's a good chance I'm missing something, but is there a line-string tool as there was in ArcMap to create parcel boundaries along natural features. I'm in Minnesota and have multiple parcels that border up against lakes and rivers? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

RossHoffmann_0-1607632966330.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Hi Ross

Here is how you would traverse/digitize in a natural boundary when using the traverse tool to create a new parcel:

1. Click the Traverse tool in the Records Tab to open the Traverse tool.
  2. Set your starting location
  3. Start entering in your traverse lines (with data entry).
  4. To enter in a natural boundary for a traverse leg, click the Line tool at the bottom of the traverse grid. (The traverse enters lines using the 2-point line tool. You will switch to the line tool to create a polyline. Cogo dimensions will not be stored for the polyline.)
  5. Make sure you click in the Direction field of the new leg in the traverse grid and then click the line tool to digitize in the polyline. When you are finished, right-click and click Finish. The traverse leg will be populated with the cogo dimensions of the imaginary straight line between the start and end points of the polyline. The dimensions will be in <>, which means they are not stored. 

I have attached a screenshot of the traverse - it has two natural boundaries in it.

If you are not using the Traverse tool - you can also just switch to the regular polyline tool to digitize in a parcel boundary - as Frank mentioned. 

Hope this helps

Christine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FrankConkling
New Contributor III

Ross,

There is not a separate linestring tool in the ArcGIS Parcel Fabric.  Rather, you can use the standard line tool (versus the two point line tool.) This is comparable to the linestring tool in the ArcMap Parcel Fabric.

I hope this helps.

Frank Conkling - Panda Consulting

0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Hi Ross

Here is how you would traverse/digitize in a natural boundary when using the traverse tool to create a new parcel:

1. Click the Traverse tool in the Records Tab to open the Traverse tool.
  2. Set your starting location
  3. Start entering in your traverse lines (with data entry).
  4. To enter in a natural boundary for a traverse leg, click the Line tool at the bottom of the traverse grid. (The traverse enters lines using the 2-point line tool. You will switch to the line tool to create a polyline. Cogo dimensions will not be stored for the polyline.)
  5. Make sure you click in the Direction field of the new leg in the traverse grid and then click the line tool to digitize in the polyline. When you are finished, right-click and click Finish. The traverse leg will be populated with the cogo dimensions of the imaginary straight line between the start and end points of the polyline. The dimensions will be in <>, which means they are not stored. 

I have attached a screenshot of the traverse - it has two natural boundaries in it.

If you are not using the Traverse tool - you can also just switch to the regular polyline tool to digitize in a parcel boundary - as Frank mentioned. 

Hope this helps

Christine

0 Kudos
FrankConkling
New Contributor III

Thanks, Christine, this is a much better explanation than I provided.

0 Kudos
RossHoffmann
New Contributor II

Thank you (and Frank) for answering my question. I have a follow-up question; is there a way to define a line as a natural boundary after-the-fact. For example, if I import a bunch of parcels to my new Pro Parcel Fabric, can I set lines to this after they've been imported? Thanks!

0 Kudos
RossHoffmann
New Contributor II

Thank you Frank and Christine, exactly the information I was looking for (and right under my nose as I suspected!) This answers my question, thanks!

0 Kudos
FrankConkling
New Contributor III

Ross,  In the Parcel Fabric converting 2-point lines to a line-string is simple. Select the lines to convert to a line-string, execute merge (being sure to uncheck keep original features) and merge into an existing line.  The result will be a line-string.

Good luck,

ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Frank is correct - just use the standard editing Merge tool to merge lines into a polyline. Be aware that you may lose COGO attributes if you entered them for the individual lines.

0 Kudos