Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing a fabric in a multi-user environment with configured symbology, labels, and fields rather than the defaults

Jump to solution
12-06-2023 10:38 AM
Heather_Campbell
New Contributor III

Multiple users need to edit a published parcel fabric. When they go to perform their edits, from my understanding they would get the published fabric into a map by locating the Controller feature in Portal > right-click > add to map. But what if editors need to see the fabric with symbology, labels, and exposed attribute fields that are different from the defaults?

In a single-user FGDB environment, I could simply save a layer file and then drag-and-drop that into a map every time I want to pull up the fabric with configured symbology, etc., but can a layer file be published to Enterprise and users could pull that into their map instead of doing it via the Controller feature?

I've also learned about saving a Map File and publishing that to Enterprise; then users can simply open the map file and perform their edits from there. Is this a better way to go?

I have lots of experience editing fabrics in single-user environments, but would like to get a better understanding of editing workflows in a multi-user environment so that symbology, labels, exposed fields, etc. don't have to be re-configured every time.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Rather than save a map file, publish a project package. That will keep all the configuration you set. Other users can open that project package directly from Pro, and a local copy will be downloaded to their machine. Any time you update the project package, they will be notified that a new version is available.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/project-package.htm

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Rather than save a map file, publish a project package. That will keep all the configuration you set. Other users can open that project package directly from Pro, and a local copy will be downloaded to their machine. Any time you update the project package, they will be notified that a new version is available.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/project-package.htm

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Heather_Campbell
New Contributor III

That's great @jcarlson ! That is so helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. 🙂

Heather