Select to view content in your preferred language

Deleting Large Number of Parcels

09-10-2024 11:39 AM
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
Regular Contributor

How do you manage the deletion of a large number of parcels simultaneously without impacting system performance?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PTW
by
Occasional Contributor

My first thought is to flip the problem around. Can you export the parcels that you do want into a new layer?

Right click layer -> Data -> Export Features -> Export Features Pop Up. There you can create an expression to isolate the parcels you do want.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Frequent Contributor

this is also what I've done - it's easier to pick out what you want to keep and export the parcels to a new feature class

0 Kudos
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
Regular Contributor

All,

Following my discussion with my colleague regarding this matter, he mentioned both of your suggestions. I was hoping we could explore alternatives to creating a new feature class. In the interim, I have implemented an expression to address the issue. I have come to understand that making changes in the fabric can be quite complex.

Thank you for your responses. 

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@-_Ashley-B-Potter_- 

To delete a large number of parcels you can use the geoprocessing Delete Parcels.

This tool is smart enough not to delete points and lines that are shared by parcels that are not deleted. It will also not delete any point that is either fixed or XY Constraint (this utilizes the field called 'preserve' on the point table).

If you are using a file geodatabase you don't have to concern yourself with versioning, but if you are using versioning you'll have to decide if you want to delete the parcels in a child version, then review the changes before you reconcile and post them, or take the risk and running in the default version without the ability to roll those delete back.

After every major change to a table (appending or deleting data) it is recommended to recalculate the spatial indices. If you have an enterprise deployment you probably have a nightly script / job that does that already.

I hope this helps