Build Parcel Fabric Fails, find circle polygons with one vertice

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 10:17 AM
Labels (1)
RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor

When I run the Build Parcel Fabric tool I get an error 000952.  The geometry is legal but certain of its properties cannot be computed.  I have opened a case with ESRI.  However,  I think the issue may have to do with these circle polygons with one vertices.   If I delete these from an area that previously failed to build and then run the build again after deleting the circle polygons the build is successful.  So, the question is how would I go about querying for these single vertices polygons? Or what tool could I use to somehow convert these circle polygons?

RobertChaney_0-1700071863351.png

Thanks,

Robert.

ArcPro ver. 3.2

Fabric ver. 5

Data: fgdb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@RobertChaney 

Thanks for submitting a technical support case. I was not able to reproduce the issue, so maybe it's data specific?!

In any case, here are a few ways to calculate the number of vertices of a polygon:

1. Using the geoprocessing tool Calculate Geometry Attribute

AmirBarMaor_0-1700143633576.png

2. Using Arcade to extract the Geometry ($feature) and count the number of points in every 'path'. You can use this to calculate a field or as an Attribute Rule validation. 

3. Using a Python script you can probably create an 'in_memory' layer and not have to change your schema.

For method 1 you will have to add a field to write the number of vertices, then run Select By Attributes to find the features with 1 vertex. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@RobertChaney 

Thanks for submitting a technical support case. I was not able to reproduce the issue, so maybe it's data specific?!

In any case, here are a few ways to calculate the number of vertices of a polygon:

1. Using the geoprocessing tool Calculate Geometry Attribute

AmirBarMaor_0-1700143633576.png

2. Using Arcade to extract the Geometry ($feature) and count the number of points in every 'path'. You can use this to calculate a field or as an Attribute Rule validation. 

3. Using a Python script you can probably create an 'in_memory' layer and not have to change your schema.

For method 1 you will have to add a field to write the number of vertices, then run Select By Attributes to find the features with 1 vertex. 

MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

Been using ArcGIS for a long time and had no clue you could do that. That is awesome

RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor

Amir,  Thanks for your reply and examples for finding these types of geometry.  I ended up finding only a total of 4 circle polygons in the entire counties parcel data.  After deleted these 4 polygons, I was able to run the Build Parcel Fabric tool on the entire County successfully.  ESRI will get back with me to confirm whether it's specific to my data.

Robert.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing your findings @RobertChaney 

0 Kudos