Select to view content in your preferred language

Traverse Tool to Use Azimuth Types

05-10-2021 11:22 AM
MikeZummo
New Contributor III

Hi There, 

Currently different Azimuth types (Grid, Rhumb Line, Forward/Mean/Reverse Geodetic) for COGO lines are supported when using the Two-Point line tool. From the testing I have completed so far, these direction types seem to be working quite well and make a huge difference when entering lines from survey plats that show mean geodetic bearings. I think it would be great if these Azimuth types could be supported when using the Traverse tool

Thanks,

Mike Z

@TimHodson 

@AmirBar-Maor 

21 Comments
MikeZummo
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

LucasBeauchamp

Fantastic news. Thanks!

joshuaforeman
Amir,

This will greatly benefit our work. Thank you so much for making this a reality!
AmirBar-Maor

Kudos to the entire parcel fabric team

Hedstrom_Jeff

@AmirBar-Maorthis is fantastic news! I see the LS adjustment tool now supports azimuth type as well with 3.2. Though there may not be a ton of use for this outside of PLSS editing environment (though it appears there is from above), PLSS management is an important piece of managing the cadastral framework. Many of us associated/partnered with BLM appreciate this addition very much!!

Happy holidays!!

AmirBar-Maor

Thanks all for the enthusiastic reactions.

IMHO, the support for the geodetic directions is needed for old survey documents. How old? before GNSS  in which theodolites were used to establish them. However, it puzzles me to see surveyors use geodetic GNSS receivers, perform highly accurate static measurements to extract coordinates, and then convert those measurements (inverse) to geodetic "measurement". IMHO it just adds unnecessary complexity and you lose important metadata about the original measurements. With the move to dynamic reference frames (datum) perhaps this should be looked into... such historic document could fit nicely next to the theodolite in the display cabinet 😉

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.3

LucasBeauchamp

Excellent. Thanks!

joshuaforeman

Amir, 

Again, much appreciated! 

We can't wait to use this tool to digitize 30+ pages of bearings and distances (20+ miles of shoreline) geodetically.   

This 2019 Plat and Field notes are a great example.  

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://sdms.ak.blm.gov/scanned_images_temp/TWP_U0080N0190E_03122024123434.pdf

Hedstrom_Jeff

@AmirBar-Maorvery much appreciate this being implemented! Many of us inputting these historic GLO plats using the 2-point tool get exhausted by the fact that we cannot take advantage of the full capabilities of the traverse tool. I am looking forward to traverse tool enhancement in 3.3!

Thanks @LucasBeauchamp & @MikeZummo for pushing this idea into being implemented!