"Set Historic" tool should work on selected points

06-22-2022 09:08 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the parcel fabric, elements have createdbyrecord and retiredbyrecord GUID fields to tie into the records layer. Points have this too, and it's useful to differentiate between active points and points which relate to features that are no longer active.

When I have parcels and lines selected and am in an active record, clicking "Set Historic" will put the active record's globalID in the right field. With points, though, it doesn't do this.

Certain other procedures will retire points, but I routinely run into cases where a point is not automatically retired, and I need to mark it as such myself. Currently, I have to copy and paste the globalID. This is not a big inconvenience, but it does irk me that this is a simple click for lines and parcels, but not for points.

Could we add the functionality that clicking "Set Historic" could mark selected points as retired by the active record?

6 Comments
AmirBar-Maor

@jcarlson 
Can you please describe when and why you set a point as historic?

I ask because when you set a parcel as historic, any point around it that is not shared with a current parcel will be marked as historic.

Thanks.

jcarlson

@AmirBar-Maor 

vastly prefer using Copy Lines To whenever I have to make changes to my cadastre, to ensure that the line genealogy is preserved, and that any parcels I create will already be integrated with the surrounding parcels.

There are some situations in which the "interior" boundaries of a set of parcels shift, and the original boundary lines are no longer referred to by any currently active features. This happens particularly when a handful of undeveloped parcels get platted out for a new subdivision.

Say I've got a set of parcels like this:

jcarlson_0-1655988763632.png

And I have a document that's going to create a new arrangement of parcels within these, but sharing the outer boundaries. My typical workflow would be:

1. Create record
  2. Select the three parcels
  3. Copy Lines To
  4. Delete interior lines
  5. Use Divide and Traverse to add new interior lines as needed.
  6. Build

jcarlson_1-1655989808910.png

jcarlson_2-1655989848377.png

The points referred to by the now-historic interior lines remain active. I understand that by using Set Historic on the parcels themselves, I could have gotten these points set as historic. I also could have used Merge, too. Neither of these options are ideal, though.

Using Set Historic leaves me without a set of lines in the active record to work from, and recreating the exterior boundaries is misleading, as those lines were originally defined by other documents. Using Merge creates a single merged parcel, which is not actually the case. I could use that merged parcel as my starting point for further division, but if I don't go back and take care of it, it leaves that middleman parcel in my historic features, even though it didn't really exist.

Is there a better workflow to accomplish this?

AmirBar-Maor

@jcarlson 

Thanks for sharing. I think we can improve build to search for any points that are only connected to retired lines and make them historic.

So maybe a better title for this idea should be "Build should mark points that are (only) connected to historic lines as historic"?

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

jcarlson

@AmirBar-Maor 

I was actually thinking along those lines as I wrote my initial response. Yes, if the "build" behavior looked for points like that and applied the record globalID to their 'retiredbyrecord' field, that would account for these cases.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

With ArcGIS Pro 3.1, Build Active will mark points that are no longer connected to current parcels as historic.