Pause Auto-Commit During Traverse in Pro

10-01-2020 06:36 AM
Geographic_Mythos
New Contributor III
In ArcMap, the Traverse Grid and Parcel Fabric grids did not auto-commit data every time I entered a new row in the Traverse.

I would like the option to pause the auto-commit while entering the Traverse so that I could enter all the information before it draws.

There are several members of my team who are rather proficient in entering Metes-and-Bounds, and this longer pause during the auto-commit is adding significant time to their keying of those descriptions. Imagine writing a COGO distance, then waiting 5-10 seconds for the line to make the loop back and forth from the database/feature service. Then do this again for dozens of lines. If you were to type too quickly, you end up creating mistakes that you then have to go back and edit, again, and still wait for the commit. 

Barring that, have the Traverse draw data locally instead of sending the information back to the feature service, the same way that the Links and Anchors do during an Alignment so that the grid works faster.
15 Comments
Geographic_Mythos

@AmirBar-Maor 

I'll accept anything that helps the team out during their Traverse. Thank you for looking into enhancing the performance of the grid entry in general. 

AndyWells

I am having this exact same behavior with the traverse tool on version 2.9.0. After about 50 rows in the traverse tool, you start seeing it take several seconds to go to the next line after you hit enter. At about 150 rows it takes 10-12 seconds, and the screen will also black out and present the ArcGIS Pro is not responding message. I think this started happening when I updated to 2.9.0 but I am not sure. I have the same behavior on two different machines. Both are saving to a layer in a local file geodatabase. It makes working with the traverse tool an excruciating process as you have to wait for the next line to appear, and if you type too soon, the value goes into the previous row and you have to correct, and wait again.

AmirBar-Maor

@AndyWells 

Thanks for reporting it.

We will test the traverse with hundreds of rows and try to reproduce the issue.

We are working on improving the performance issue in the traverse pane by using the multithreaded nature of Pro. Our goal is to enter rows at "ludicrous" speeds. 

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

The performance of the traverse is being worked on.
However, it is not implemented using the old ArcMap graphic overlay as the idea suggests.

Target release: 3.0

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

In Pro 3.0 we are using 2 threads: 1 thread to support the fast entry of values in the traverse grid a second thread to commit the features.  

The result: a super-fast responsive grid that accommodates any delay / slow performance in the main thread that commits the features to the geodatabase. 

Why we did not use sketch?

1. Ability to save edits halfway through

2. Ability to label each course as they are being entered

3. Ability to change the symbology - for example: symbolize road frontage lines different than backlot lines.