Parcel Editing Workflows - Copy Parallel Tool

07-25-2023 11:07 AM
SusanHenton
New Contributor II

Our organization often uses the 'Copy Parallel' editing tool when integrating new encumbrance parcels into our parcel fabric. We typically receive a land transfer document with instructions like "10 feet of even width across said lot numbers", and we use the Copy Parallel tool to create new encumbrance parcel lines that are parallel to existing property parcel lines.

This is a good workflow, but the Create Parallel tool does not appear to have a snap tolerance option, nor does the tool appear to honour snap tolerances set with the Snapping tool. This means when creating a parallel line where the end points are close to other lines, there is either a small gap or overshoot as shown in the image below.

SusanHenton_0-1690307972780.jpeg

To rectify these gaps and overshoots, the Extend/Trim tool can be used. However, this requires editors to zoom into each intersection to extend or trim the newly created line. This is quite tedious and time consuming, especially when there are multiple parcels to create at a time.

To increase the efficiency of our editing workflows, a snap tolerance option to the Copy Parallel tool would vastly reduce the time used to fix these small gaps and overshoots before we proceed with the rest of our workflow (create parcel seeds> attribute the encumbrance parcels> build parcels). 

10 Comments
JasonCamerano

Hey Susan,

Good points.  I understand it can slow down the workflow to have to use Extend and Trim.  This is a good idea and it has been discussed internally.  In the meantime maybe creating a Task for the editors can just click through the steps and it calls the tool right away might save time?

I created this quick task you can use and fully configure for your projects.  The last step that attributes the parcels can be configured to only show the parcel polygons.  You can change everything you want about this task, all the words, and even add more steps or remove existing steps.  

Let me know if you have access to this page:  https://proappediting.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=70c7930ebd3140ef8a1c23fe667d1cf1

Simply download the esriTaskFile and then browse it from Pro catalog and you can open it. 

Below is also a video showing how use the Task. 

Let me know if you have any other questions

SusanHenton
SarahSibbett

Hi @JasonCamerano - looks like we need to be members of the ProApp Editing group to access the link. Are you able to make it public? 

And thanks for the suggestion on the Task - we do typically work with our customers to develop tasks to streamline end to end workflows, but it would be great to start from an existing one and configure vs starting from scratch! 

JasonCamerano
JasonCamerano

Also note, you might want to inform the user to check the option to recompute the COGO on extend trim since it will obviously alter the line.  Or tell them to update the COGO during the Attribute Step. 

SarahSibbett

@JasonCamerano that worked for me - thanks! And great reminder about when to update COGO. 

AmirBar-Maor

@SusanHenton 

@SarahSibbett 

Are you looking to extend/trim the parallel line to solve the issue of:

1. Undershoots and overshoots (small distances)

OR

2. Run parallel lines for long distances until they 'hit' another feature (long distances).

Would the enhancement below solve the problem?

AmirBarMaor_0-1700141967638.png

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

If all goes as planned this will be implemented with ArcGIS Pro 3.3. 

-_Ashley-B-Potter_-

This has come in handy especially with all the backlash I am getting wind of since we migrated to parcel fabric.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.3