Select to view content in your preferred language

Export COGO Traverse as CSV

02-16-2023 10:03 AM
Mike_Fazio_SRCPA
Emerging Contributor

I would love to see a native export function that allows users to export COGO traverse's as csv's instead of txt files. This would allow users to easily read the COGO's and manipulate the data for other purposes (e.g. scripting a process that converts COGOs to summary legal descriptions). 

Tags (3)
7 Comments
AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hello @Mike_Fazio_SRCPA 

Are you trying to generate a legal description from a traverse?

Are you using the parcel fabric?

I ask because ArcGIS Pro 3.1 will has a new geoprocessing tool called 'Export Parcel Sequenced Features'. It  exports the parcel lines in sequence, which you can then export to a CSV  or even an excel spreadsheet using the 'Table to Excel' tool.

Mike_Fazio_SRCPA

@AmirBar-Maor , 

Unfortunately we are not yet using the Parcel Fabric, although we do plan to implement that in the future. I will look into that tool, as it sounds like just what I'm looking for.  

AmirBar-Maor
AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Already Offered

Already offered in the parcel fabric.

There is only one recommended way to manage parcels in ArcGIS = using the parcel fabric. 

DonNadeau-GISOffice

"exports the parcel lines in sequence, which you can then export to a CSV"  has the same number of steps as the original state.  The request was to save a step:  "I would love to see a native export function that allows users to export COGO traverse's as csv's instead of txt files...."  (Emphasis added.)  🙂

AmirBar-Maor

You can always create a geoprocessing model with the 2 tools to export the lines in a single step.

We missed an important question:

Why export it to a file (CSV format in this case) that goes stale?

Don't you trust your DBS to perform backups of the DBMS? Or do you use the CSV file as input for third-party software (e.g. land surveying software)?

How would you go about managing thousands of CSV files?

Would you expect to edit the CSV and import it back into the traverse?

Why CSV and not not XLS or XLSX?

StephanieShaw1

@Mike_Fazio_SRCPA 

I create legal descriptions using the traverse tool. Currently I export as a *.txt then pull it into word. I then add the point of beginning (based on a section corner) above the first line. I do a find an replace "DD" to "THENCE" and run a macro (see macro for word below) to add "FEET;" at the end of the paragraph. I am still working on rounding to 2 decimal places (as the numbers are not recognized as number in word when copying from a *.txt file) and deleting all the paragraphs (returns).

EXAMPLE FROM THIS:

DT QB
DU DMS
SP 704805.069357 645543.965518
DD S89-24-45W 208.51
DD N87-5-7W 544.66

TO THIS:

Beginning at the Northwest Corner of Section 27, Township 17N, Range 29W;

THENCE S89-24-45W 208.51 FEET;
THENCE N87-5-7W 544.66 FEET;

WITH THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF THIS:

Beginning at the Northwest Corner of Section 27, Township 17N, Range 29W; THENCE S89-24-45W 208.51 FEET; THENCE N87-5-7W 544.66 FEET;

Sub FeetSemicolon()
'
' FeetSemicolon Macro
'
'
Dim i As Long
Dim rng As Range
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
Set rng = .Paragraphs(i).Range
rng.End = rng.End - 1
rng.InsertAfter " FEET;"