Explore Tool as Default in Pro Parcel Fabric

04-20-2021 08:29 AM
KarinPierce
New Contributor III

Currently the Explore Tool is set as the default in Pro Parcel Fabric.  Once you make a selection with the Select Tool and for example, edit vertices of a line, the selection goes back to the Explore Tool.  It would be more efficient if your current selection stayed active (either Explore or Select).  In this example I would be selecting different lines or polygons to edit and having to constantly go back and select the Select Tool isn't very time efficient which is what Pro Parcel Fabric is all about. 

7 Comments
AmirBar-Maor

There are many cases where you need to pan the map during editing while the select tool is active or any other editing tool.

The easiest way for me is to press down the scroll wheel and pan the map.

Other options are:

• To pan press down the 'C' key 
  • To Zoom out press the 'X' key
  • To Zoom interactively press the 'Z' key and use the scroll wheel
  • To Rotate pres the 'V' key

Does this help?

JasonCamerano

This issue is a result of different modify tools changing the active tool to the black select arrow filtering the features that can be selected.  For example Planarize or Update COGO changes the active tool.  When backing out of the tool the active tool reverts back to Explore regardless of what tool the user entered the tool with.  Now the user has to go back up to the ribbon and reactivate the select tool to continue their work. 

CathyAppleton

Hi,

I too was hoping teh explore tool (identify) would be only used when needed.  Which is rarely compared to the use of the select tool.    How can we disable this so it does not go back to identify when clicking on the map and instead keeps the select active more permanently?   Thanks!

JasonCamerano

Just to let everyone know, at 3.1 there will be an option in the back stage (Editing section) that will allow you to set the default tool when deactivating editing tools.  You can now always revert back to the last used Select Tool when exiting Edit Vertices for example.

JasonCamerano_0-1674689298771.png

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 as an option in the backstage. You can change the default tool for editing all features to be either Explore or Select. This can be changed by going to the 'Options'>'Editing'>'General'>'Productivity' section. 

Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment. 

CathyAppleton

@AmeliaBradshaw   Thank you!!!