Disable Z Values entirely

11-17-2021 02:51 PM
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

My organization does not use Z values and I should be able to disable them entirely. I have encountered more problems with tools failing because of a null Z value than not and we don't even utilize them. 

edit: running Repair Geometry doesn't really help, as I could run it every single time I make an edit and still run into this problem. The fabric I'm working on passed Repair Geometry before attempting to use Copy Parcels, then Copy Parcels failed with a null Z value error. 

7 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

So your data is z-enabled, meaning the Shape field shows PolygonZ, PolylineZ, PointZ?

To disable z values in the data, see How To: Remove Z- and/or M-values from a feature class 

If there is a problem specific to Copy Parcels, that may need to be reported as a bug rather than idea.

It looks like this has been requested before without much traction, https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-ideas/enable-disable-3d-to-2d-geometry/idi-p/940748 , though I'm not even sure if it is a possibility at the geodatabase level.

AmirBar-Maor

All parcel fabric feature classes are Z enabled.

@anna_garrett This is the first time we hear of such problems.
1. What type of problems did you encounter?
2. Did you submit a technical support case (bug)?

anna_garrett

I'm running into problems where a tool will fail (it's been several) because there's a null z value. I should be able to disable z values across the board if our organization doesn't use elevation/height values in our data.

JonathanMcDowell1

I am running in the same issue. I started having this today on a test parcel fabric. This issue started after I ran the applied a least squares adjustment to the fabric.

These are the issues I am dealing with now.

1. Cannot build a record because of the Z-value issue
  2. dangling nodes on curves.
  3. Creeping lines 
  4. points no longer on end line endpoints.
  5. Lines collapsed to 0 geometries.

I am going to probably put this in ideas. Do not allow the use the LSA when the topology is turned off.

AmirBar-Maor

@JonathanMcDowell1 

Sometimes the error message is correct and sometimes it's wrong.
Sometimes it's a software issue (bug) and sometimes a data issue.

The only way we can determine it is if you submit a technical support case with the data and steps to reproduce it. Could you please submit it?

AmirBar-Maor

@anna_garrett  COuld you please provide the case # so we can follow up with technical support?

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Closed

Please report any issues you encounter to technical support.

We are making changes to treat parcels as 2D where applicable.