Allow the Traverse tool to trace lines in any direction

2 weeks ago
SeanLyons
New Contributor III

Currently, the trace function in the traverse tool is designed to trace lines only in the correct direction matching the COGO dimension: 

SeanLyons_0-1714144684054.jpeg

The trace function would be more useful and user friendly if it allowed people to trace lines in any direction. For example, if we are traversing a set of lines that bound a parcel, we often cannot trace the full boundary of the parcel because we come across a line that is in the opposite direction of the way we are tracing. This happens quite often around curves. 

If it is possible from a technology stand point, it would be great if the trace function could be enhanced in this way. 

2 Comments
JasonCamerano

Hey @SeanLyons 

Great idea, in fact we have discussed this internally quite a bit but we always have lots of questions.  I would like to pose them to you and the community as well. 

When tracing lines, if the tool allowed lines in opposite directions to be traced how would you expect that line be represented in the grid?  How would the lines COGO measurements be displayed in the Traverse Grid?  How would editing those specific lines directions work?

We are very curious to what many users would expect to happen in the grid if we allowed reverse line tracing. 

SeanLyons

Good Morning Jason,

• If the line has a reversed direction compared to its start point when tracing I would suggest that it shows in the grid in some slightly different fashion just so people realize that it is a reversed line and the system is doing something different with it. Maybe an italicized font/bold stylization,
  • I would say show the COGO as it shows in the attributes on the line.
  • I think editing should work the same as any other line. If the user flips the bearing to match the orientation of the rest of the lines in the trace it would then flip in the attributes when the traverse window is closed. As long as the misclosure and stated area can still show a realistic close number based on flipping the line 180 degrees.