Select to view content in your preferred language

Workflow to Update AGOL Web Map Monthly

11-29-2023 04:39 PM
DarkCanuck
Occasional Contributor

We've built a fairly standard map in ArcGIS Pro for a local city (with all their utilities, zoning boundaries, parcels, etc.). Let's assume there are 100+ layers in total. About half of those layers come from outside local utilities (electricity, gas, cable, telephone, etc.) and we get monthly updates of those.

While it's simple to update those in Pro each month, the challenge comes with how to update them in AGOL after we've published.

What is the best way to do this? Publishing as a Web Map from Pro doesn't work as you can't overwrite and it will remove any customizations we've made in AGOL. Publishing the utilities (50+ layers) as Web Layer doesn't work as it doesn't support group layers.

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MaryAnne_VanZuyle
Occasional Contributor

The message with overwriting a map service says that your customizations MAY get broken. We overwrite map services all the time when we have minor schema changes, usually the addition of fields. If we keep the layers names the same and in the same order, we haven't had any problems. It may be that only the layer names have to be consistent.

0 Kudos
DarkCanuck
Occasional Contributor

Are you overwriting a Web Map or a Web Layer via Pro to AGOL? Web Maps can't be overwritten with the same name and Web Layers don't support group layers. That's kinda where I am stuck.

0 Kudos
MaryAnne_VanZuyle
Occasional Contributor

My mistake. We are overwriting to Portal.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

What are the updates?

You can delete all the features in a service very quickly, and then append all the new features that you've updated in ArcGIS Pro? Service/schema/configuration stays the same.

0 Kudos
DarkCanuck
Occasional Contributor
While that is a solution, there are 50+ layers that MAY have changes, and since I don't want to walk through and compare each one, it would be nice to just be able to overwrite something in AGOL with one click/tool.
0 Kudos