Workflow: Breaking down group hosted feature layers for sharing as individual layers in Open Data

08-24-2023 03:40 PM
VanessaPocock
New Contributor III

Hi,

Looking for assistance determining the best approach for setting-up a group of layers from a single hosted feature layer as individual layers within the Open Data Portal. The intended plan is to host in Portal and sync as copies to AGOL:

Workflow Options

1. Publish Hosted Feature Layers (HFL) published to Portal (i.e. they will have multiple feature layers within them)

Option 1a. In Portal create Views of each layer within the HFL and add individual metadata, or
Option 1b. Wait to do that in AGOL, and instead sync by copy the entire HFL as is

2. Use distributed collab sync by copy to share the layers with AGOL

Option 2a. Sync both the entire HFL and the views of the HFL, or
Option 2b. Sync only the entire HFL and wait to create Views of each layer within the HFL and add individual metadata in AGOL

Questions and Unknowns
1. Which of the workflow options above makes the most sense in terms of managing the sync by copy?
- Will the sync work if the views are created in AGOL only?
- Do I have to share the entire HFL if I create the views in Portal?
- As the "Export" needs to be enable on the original HFL will that persists for the views?

2. Are views the only way to access/manage the individual layer level metadata (i.e. categories, tags, etc.) or is there another method that doesn't require creating views? 

3. From my experience Map Services (usually referenced in AGOL) will automatically register that there are individual layers in the services and display them as unique items in the Portal, while the hosted feature layers do not; they persist showing as the single all encompassing HFL. Am I wrong of has anyone experienced a different outcome?

I realize this is a long-winded question, but as yet I haven't been able to get clear answers anywhere online. 

Thank you,
Vanessa

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @VanessaPocock 

If I understand your proposed workflow correctly, I do not think it is currently supported. Please check Does ArcGIS Online supports publishing group layers as hosted feature services?

I hope the above helps.

Miguel
VanessaPocock
New Contributor III

Hi Miguel,

Sorry I've used confusing language. By "grouped" I mean "many layers" in a single hosted feature layer. They are not grouped. I've update my post to clarify. Thank you for replying. 

Vanessa

0 Kudos
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @VanessaPocock 

Thank you for the clarification. I believe the following article will allow you to narrow down your available choices; About sharing feature layer and view data as copies

Let us know if you require further guidance.

Miguel
0 Kudos