Why does new map viewer open to scale visible instead of full extent

01-19-2023 08:34 AM
SupriyaK
New Contributor III

When opening an item in the new map viewer it opens to a scale the data will draw in and at the center of the full extent of the data. Since the our data's extent is of the US and set to the large scale (have to be pretty zoomed in to draw), it will open the data in the middle of the country. Except, I'm working with coastal data and we don't have data in the center of the country.

Every other application (Map Viewer Classic and ArcGIS Pro) seems to open the data to the full extent with the draw disable (to indicate the layer isn't drawing yet). 

This functionality causes a lot of confusion for our users and I was wondering if anyone had a workaround. Our workaround is to adjust the data's extent to a consistent location off the coast that won't encapsulate all the data. It isn't ideal, but it is the only way we can think to preserve our scale dependencies and open the data to a place that makes more sense.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

On the item settings what is the extent defined? Can you adjust it to the expected extent and save that new extent to the item.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could add the data to the new map viewer, pan/zoom to the extent you want, then save the map.

Now, when you open that "Map" instead of adding the item to new map, it will open to the extents/layer visibility that was saved in the map.

R_

0 Kudos
SupriyaK
New Contributor III

@RussRoberts The extent is defined in the item settings. It is a box around contiguous US and Alaska. But the item also has a scale dependency.

The issue is that when I click "Open in Map Viewer" (new), it opens the data at the scale at which the items scale dependency = visible AND to the middle of that extent. For us, that is in the middle of land when all our data is on the coast. 

I'd expect when it opens in a map it would be at the full extent and the layer is greyed out to indicate it isn't drawing at the scale that the full extent is displayed in. 

@RhettZufelt We have one map with some of this data in it so users can see the data. But, we are thinking of the users that will be browsing for individual layers and might want to open that data in a new map to view. It would be impractical for us to create a new map for each of the items that has this problem, which is all our items. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the extra info. We currently bring it in to the scale range to have the data visible in the map and going to the centroid of the extent.  Bringing up this feedback with the team.

SupriyaK
New Contributor III

Thanks @RussRoberts!

To make my case, opening to full extent of data (not to the scale at which it draws) is consistent with classic map viewer AND how ArcGIS Pro works for this data item. 

I saw from a lot of posts that users want functionality in the new map viewer to zoom to scale. Personally, I don't think that should be on first open but another option in the layer properties like "Zoom to".

0 Kudos
SupriyaK
New Contributor III

@RussRoberts Any updates?

0 Kudos