Why does it say "Error - This file type is not supported" when I'm trying to add a jpg?

02-27-2017 08:57 AM
SimonCrutchley1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to load a jpg image from my PC into ArcGIS on-line and I keep getting the error message saying "This file type is not supported" when according to the Help menu jpgs are supported.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

You have posted this question in the GeoNet Help space which is for asking help about GeoNet and its use. You fail to mention what you are trying to add the jpg to. If you are talking about ArcMap then you should probably ask this question in the "New to GIS" or "GIS" space.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley1
New Contributor II

Sorry, I'm new to this and it wasn't very clear where to place it. I'll try

again.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using a public account of ArcGIS Online. Then, you might not have the privilege to add items to ArcGIS Online.

Have a look at the trial account of ArcGIS Online and check if the issue persist.

Think Location
SimonCrutchley1
New Contributor II

Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated there are restrictions for such things.

I'll try doing the same with my work account and see if I have the same problem.

SimonCrutchley1
New Contributor II

I loaded it in my work account and it was fine so it clearly was a matter of privileges.

Thanks

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

How are you trying to upload it? Under what tab/ button are you selecting to browse for this jpeg file. 

0 Kudos