Why does exporting a hosted view layer include all source records?

Jump to solution
10-29-2019 11:20 AM
LindsayKing1
New Contributor III

We have a number of hosted view layers on ArcGIS Online that were created to only include filtered versions of their source datasets.  In some cases these filters were applied to better manage the data, and in others, we use a view layer because we do not want the user to have access to all of the records in the source hosted feature layer for privacy reasons.

However, we've discovered that when we use the Export Data > Export to CSV File option on a hosted view layer, all of the records are included in the resulting CSV, not just the records that are included in the view. This behavior is not at all what I would have expected, and puts us at risk of making records available to users who should not have access.

Is this by design?  I would have expected an export from a hosted view to only include the records and attributes defined by the view.

Thanks,

Lindsay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

I don't think this behavior is expected, and it has been logged as a bug internally: BUG-000126527. I would recommend contacting Esri Support and getting your customer number attached to the bug. Let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Despite a bug being logged, when I tested this I was able to find a way to filter the view that prevents exporting all of the records. On the visualization tab of the View, instead of choosing Filter select the ellipsis and choose Set View Definition instead and apply the same Filter. Does this facilitate exporting the records to .csv as expected?

Hope that helps,

-Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

I don't think this behavior is expected, and it has been logged as a bug internally: BUG-000126527. I would recommend contacting Esri Support and getting your customer number attached to the bug. Let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Despite a bug being logged, when I tested this I was able to find a way to filter the view that prevents exporting all of the records. On the visualization tab of the View, instead of choosing Filter select the ellipsis and choose Set View Definition instead and apply the same Filter. Does this facilitate exporting the records to .csv as expected?

Hope that helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos
LindsayKing1
New Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Thank you for sharing this workaround.  When I define the view using Set View Definition rather than Filter, it does appear to honor the filter when the view is exported to a CSV.  This workaround will help us adhere to our privacy standards until BUG-000126527 is resolved; I appreciate your response and help.

Regards,

Lindsay

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the response here, and I'm glad the workaround was successful on your end. 

Best,

-Peter

0 Kudos