Select to view content in your preferred language

Where is the label placement property for lines?

Jump to solution
12-01-2023 02:10 PM
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi! I am trying to label line features in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer and I don't see the label placement property in the label style dialogue box. I am expecting to see it where I have added the pink squiggly line in the image below.

LiviaBetancourtMazur_0-1701468391337.png

The layer in question is a registered service, where the URL is "....mapserver/0" so it is registered as a feature layer.

Below is the same data registered as a map image layer where I see the property I need (but I don't want the layer to be registered as a map image layer but a feature layer):

LiviaBetancourtMazur_1-1701468563247.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks for responding! I forgot that I had set up the map in the second screenshot where that setting is visible in the old map viewer. So that makes sense that the functionality is not available in the new map viewer yet. I was confused as to why I saw that setting in the label style dialogue box in one map but not the other. According to that link you sent, if I am reading things correctly, setting any properties in Pro will not transfer to the web map:

LiviaBetancourtMazur_0-1701704379409.png

Thanks again for your suggestion! At least it's on the roadmap, even though they seem to be late in making it possible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gis_KIWI4
Occasional Contributor II

It looks like the setting was removed in AGOL update sometime last year. Unfortunate but being able to offset the label along a line feature is quite a basic functionality. 
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/new-map-viewer-and-line-labels/td-p/1125410

It looks like you could use ArcGIS Desktop to solve issues with label placement. To do so, open the map in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro for a better customization of where labels can be placed in relation to the features on the map, and republish the map to ArcGIS Online. 

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks for responding! I forgot that I had set up the map in the second screenshot where that setting is visible in the old map viewer. So that makes sense that the functionality is not available in the new map viewer yet. I was confused as to why I saw that setting in the label style dialogue box in one map but not the other. According to that link you sent, if I am reading things correctly, setting any properties in Pro will not transfer to the web map:

LiviaBetancourtMazur_0-1701704379409.png

Thanks again for your suggestion! At least it's on the roadmap, even though they seem to be late in making it possible.

0 Kudos
JustinKey
New Contributor

Screenshot (13).png

Has anyone heard if they are planning on releasing an update to the labeling options for the Online Map Viewer. I see the previous posts saying they were supposed to update this in 2023 but it hasn't been updated yet. As you can see from the attached photo, the labels for line features is centered over the lines and not above or below them. We created an online dashboard portfolio with multiple dashboards in it for our guys and gals at the main office to keep track of certain projects going on in the field and we attached a Web Map Viewer dashboard of our system map. We also have a Web Map Editor and a Web Map Viewer Map pushed out through ARCGIS Pro and available to our field workers in Field Maps App and the labels are offset how they should be on all of those platforms. The only problem is on the Dashboard in our portfolio with the labels being centered on the lines. There is no longer an option under labeling to offset these labels and my OCD boss isn't happy with the centering of the labels. Just curious if there's any talk to update this glitch in 2024 since it didn't happen in 2023 like we were told it would.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is now available in Map Viewer. 

RussRoberts_0-1719466120753.png

0 Kudos