Web tabs in web mapping application

04-10-2019 09:24 AM
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Greetings!

I have been noticing that several mapping applications have tabs with various functions across the top of the mapping app. Is this a function that's available for the Web App Builder? I have epically failed to find any specific guidance.

Image attached shows tabs across the top of the web app.

Sample web map app with tabs

9 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the screenshot you provided an example of a public web app created by someone else? My guess is that there is custom code involved which could be implemented with WAB Developer Edition. I don't know of any tab functionality "out of the box" in WAB. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Hi Katherine!

it is from a public accessible county GIS and was created by someone else.

I thought about the Developer but decided I would see if it was just something that was an add-in widget for the WAB that I could not find. If you run across any example coding, let me know.

I am looking in Stack Exchange, but obviously not typing the verbiage correctly to receive right answers to the question.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Forgot to include the link to the site so you could gander at it if you desired........

GeoSMART - NRGC 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, I really don't know anything about web development coding (trying to learn), but I did find this HTML snippet by using the Developer Tools in Google Chrome. This portion of the HTML pertains to the header that contains the tabs:

Not sure if that will help at all. Maybe someone who looks at this post later will have more insight! Best of luck, if you do get it to work I'd love to hear how you achieved it.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Katherine!

I'll fiddle with it and keep you updated!

0 Kudos
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

I think that might be a customized Story Map (tabbed/Story Map Series) based on the look, and then each tab is linked to a different Web App Builder application. You can achieve the same thing using the basic Story Map Series template, though. Just have each tab link to a web page and insert the URL to your individual Web App Builder apps.

EDIT: Here's an example of a Story Map Series that links to separate Story Map Journals on each tab.

-Aaron
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Interesting. Never thought about doing it with Story Maps. I will have to give it a go!! Way better than writing and managing a bunch of code!

Thanks Aaron!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Very cool, I haven't used Story Maps before either....love Geonet, always learning something new

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
LeePowell
Esri Contributor

Hey everyone,

Just to confirm, tabbed elements are a feature of ArcGIS StoryMaps. The tabbed elements allow you to seamlessly switch between your Portal apps or maps with ease - no need to open a new window or move away from your current page. This makes it a great feature for presentations, demonstrations or simply keeping all your related content in a single, fluid and simple to use window.