Web map Permissions

03-09-2020 05:17 AM
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

I am Trying to publish a web map to ArcGIS Online, so I want the the map to be viewed for public but to be editable for specific user.

Any help is highly appreciated

7 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

abdullah qasrawi‌, see my answer here:

https://community.esri.com/message/914194-arcgis-online-permissions-viewing-level-and-editing-level-... 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

For the public version use the Map Image Layer which is not editable

For the version you want someone to edit use the Feature Layer which is editable.

You will need two Web Maps to do this.  They will both run off the same Published Feature Service and data. 

Your editor will have to be designated in their profile be  a CREATOR  /  USER

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Robert,

Not sure how to publish a layer as “Map Image Layer”. Is this applicable in case zipped FGDB or shape file are added to ArcGIS Online?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

We can publish editable feature layer, then consume the same layer by two different web maps, first one not editable (Disable editing) and shared for public and second one editable and shared for a specific group, but still I am looking for smarter solution that allow us to use one link only.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This a bit risky!

If the short link is shared at the time the “disable editing” tool is activated, then that would be correct. However, if the “enable editing” tool is activated, the short link stays the same and thus editing will be automatically activated!

I would appreciate if you could double check

Jamal Numan
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Correct Jamal

If you enable editing, the short link remaining the same, so you need to create two different web maps consuming the same feature layer.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many Thanks Abdulah! I could live with the workaround you suggested

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan