Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Map just disappeared after failed save

Jump to solution
02-20-2024 08:55 AM
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

I was working in a web map this morning using Map Viewer. I was saving my work regularly, since I'm used to AGOL occasionally freezing up and requiring a browser refresh. About an hour ago, when I hit Save, AGOL threw an error that read something like, "Unable to load item" with the item name being my web map.

I didn't bother to screen capture the error, because I assumed this was one of those transient 'solves itself' errors. But this time, the interface stopped responding to any input, so I refreshed my browser, assuming I would lose the few minutes' worth of work since my last save, but instead I wound up with a blank, untitled map once the refresh was done. I then checked my content gallery, and the web map no longer seems to exist. When I looked again just now, the other two web maps in the org (neither of which I had 'touched' today) have also vanished from the content gallery.

Any ideas what might be happening?

I've already checked to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious, like having a filter on my content view that hides web maps. If it matters, we did have someone in another state using Arc Pro to publish feature layers to this same org at the same time as I was working in the now-missing web map, but they did not need to 'touch' any web maps or existing layers for what they were doing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderDanielPratama
Esri Contributor

I am sorry to hear that. However, can you confirm by creating an activity report first from your AGOL administrator?

Exploring the Organization Activity Log CSV (esri.com)

In my experiences using AGOL  I never had any error regarding deleted web map / Unable to load an item unless it was deleted by super user (Admin). I would suggest you try to get the log first.

Hope, it helps you

Cheers  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

I should have pulled the activity log as my first troubleshooting step instead of fixating on what turned out to be a coincidental error message.

The log shows that someone with admin privileges deleted the map.

BTW, I received the same 'unable to load' error the following day in a different map. While I had to refresh that map to resolve the error, it behaved as it should, retaining everything up to the most recent save. Still somewhat curious what an "Unable to add layer, status=502" error means in the context of a web map, but it's not a huge deal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderDanielPratama
Esri Contributor

I am sorry to hear that. However, can you confirm by creating an activity report first from your AGOL administrator?

Exploring the Organization Activity Log CSV (esri.com)

In my experiences using AGOL  I never had any error regarding deleted web map / Unable to load an item unless it was deleted by super user (Admin). I would suggest you try to get the log first.

Hope, it helps you

Cheers  

0 Kudos
SeanOMalley
New Contributor II

I should have pulled the activity log as my first troubleshooting step instead of fixating on what turned out to be a coincidental error message.

The log shows that someone with admin privileges deleted the map.

BTW, I received the same 'unable to load' error the following day in a different map. While I had to refresh that map to resolve the error, it behaved as it should, retaining everything up to the most recent save. Still somewhat curious what an "Unable to add layer, status=502" error means in the context of a web map, but it's not a huge deal.

0 Kudos