Using the 'Near Me' Widget without ArcGIS Server?

11-21-2017 01:00 PM
CarlTownsend2
New Contributor III

Is there a way to use the Near Me widget on a public map without having to go through ArcGIS Server? It uses service credits and I was wondering if there was a way to set up a public web map that uses this tool, and the credits, but to only go through an ArcGIS Online organisational account. I.E. is there a way to store a user account log in credentials on AGOL so that this widget can use them?

Near Me widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Carl,

This is a good question. Take a look at this link:

https://community.esri.com/thread/174031#comment-664271 

A similar question is asked with a potential answer. I am not sure if that helps or not.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carl,

You can set up a proxy to do this.  Take a look at the following help document:

Working with Proxy Services | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
CarlTownsend2
New Contributor III

Thanks, those looks interesting. I found another solution, which doesn't require credits, or an arcgis online login

I had an existing address point feature created from parcels containing the civic address which I uploaded and use that in the widget instead of the default geocoder.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Carl Townsend‌ You are correct - you can use your own locator service and that will not consume credits. Here are the instructions for configuring the widget in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS:

Near Me widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

I would like to note that Near Me does not consume credits unless routing is enabled and configured.

0 Kudos
CarlTownsend2
New Contributor III

Hi Allison, could the Near Me widget documentation you and I posted here be updated to reflect this fact?

Moving forward, how about being able to store a user credential with AGOL (In the settings) so that public maps could use widgets that consume service credits? Not everybody is going to be adopting ArcGIS Server. Can this capability be added to AGOL in a future release?

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Carl Townsend‌ Here is a blog that explains how to store credentials to use premium services throughout ArcGIS: Public Access to ArcGIS Online Routing and Traffic Services | ArcGIS Blog 

CarlTownsend2
New Contributor III

Thanks Allison, I was looking at that, but wanted it to be setup for an individual feature and/or map to access, but I see it's the option for all features and maps that will use the widgets. I will try that out and see!

Does it have to be a level 1 or 2 user account?

AllisonMuise1

I am not sure on level 1 vs level 2. To use this credential-containing service in only a select few locations (such as just this app), I suggest following the steps in that blog for setting a referrer. This doesn't secure the service, but it makes it difficult to access though means other than the app and will be enough to keep people from accidentally using it other places.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Level 1 users can't own content, so they won't be able to store credentials via proxy or own an app. This would need to be a level 2 user to go through the workflow described by Allison with the privilege to create and access content. Level 1 users can access routing and directions services, so a level 1 user would be able to sign into an app using and use the services if needed.

-Kelly