Using lyr from a private hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
09-03-2020 05:02 AM
DominikVisca
New Contributor

I added a 'private' hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Online in ArcMap and exported a Lyr-file. I'm able to use this lyr file to add and show the private hosted feature layer in any other ArcMap installation without using any credentials. The question is: Why? Are they somehow saved in the lyr? How long will this work (so, do I have to update the lyr?).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hi Dominik!  If the ArcMap session is signed in to your ArcGIS Online organization, you can expect to see the data.  However, if you sign out of your ArcGIS Online organization by clicking File >> Sign Out, and then add the layer file, you will be prompted to authenticate.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hi Dominik!  If the ArcMap session is signed in to your ArcGIS Online organization, you can expect to see the data.  However, if you sign out of your ArcGIS Online organization by clicking File >> Sign Out, and then add the layer file, you will be prompted to authenticate.  

0 Kudos
DominikVisca
New Contributor

Hi Marianne, thank you for your reply! The thing is, I can use the lyr in another installation of ArcMap where there was never any prompt for authentication. I tested it explicitly on a computer where ArcGIS Online was never used and it still works. Actually I'm quite happy that it works, the question is: How and for how long?

0 Kudos
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hi Dominik, that's an interesting puzzle.  Credentials are not stored in layer files, so we'll have to look around a bit to learn where the authentication is happening.

When you log into ArcGIS Online (without the lyr), do you type in a username and a password?  Or do you simply click a button and arrive at your content (SAML based organization-specific logins)?  

0 Kudos
DominikVisca
New Contributor

Hi Marianne! I'm sorry - I checked everyone of my layers and two of them were actually not private at all. So of course these two layers would show up without any authentication. I changed them both to private and now the authentication window pops up in ArcMap, like intended. Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

No problem at all, I'm glad you discovered the answer.  Thanks for the follow-up and happy mapping!

0 Kudos