Using Google Maps Engine in ArcGIS Online

10-23-2014 11:39 AM
RebekahLiebermann
New Contributor

Hello,

I am new to ArcGIS Online, although I have used the desktop version before. I created a simple map with about 50 features on Google Maps Engine. I am now trying to upload this map onto a new map in ArcGIS Online, but have not been able to do so successfully. When I export the Google map as a KML, it either saves a KML file onto my computer or it creates a .kml.xml file (if I open with an xml reader). I'm not sure how to properly convert these to CSV so that I can upload them as a file. Alternatively, there is an option to add a layer from the web--I'm not sure what URL I am supposed to be using. Copying the Google Maps URL certainly does not work.

Thanks for your help! I could really use some advice!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrendanO_Neill
New Contributor III

Hey there Rebekah,

I would recommend having a look at Bern Szukalski's blog post here. He takes you through a couple workflows that should get your KML file into ArcGIS Online. Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Brendan

0 Kudos
nemesis069
New Contributor III

This blog post is good. When exporting (saving) data from Google Earth I usually pick the .kmz option instead of the .kml. A kmz contains a 10:1 compressed kml file. ArcGIS Online accepts them both.

- Juul

0 Kudos
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Rebekah,

Not sure if your question is already resolved but here is how I would do it.

Since you already have a working KML file (check that it works in Google Earth), Then you can just use the tool "KML to Layer" to convert the KML into a feature class. Then I would just load the new feature class into ArcMap and go to Share As -> Service. Then just go through each of those settings and configure them. Make sure to uncheck Tiled Mapping under Capabilities or you will end up burning credits.

Hope this helps.

Chuck