Select to view content in your preferred language

Use custom basemap - no ArcGIS server - remove Esri basemap

06-12-2014 06:43 PM
KevinShipman
Deactivated User
Greetings,
I'm trying to create a customized basemap via desktop tools and load into ArcGIS Online. I don't have licensing for ArcGIS Server. I have been reading and testing extensively via desktop tools and had good success with the numerous options. My cache will be larger than 256mb so I can't upload tile package via browser. I'm looking at 5 to perhaps 15 GB when complete. So I'll upload via desktop to AGOL connection.

While I can get nice looking test caches to AGOL, I can't seem to remove the Esri basemap behind everything. I've successfully created basemap groups and customized the basemaps my users' see, but I still have to have an Esri basemap drawing behind my carefully designed cached basemap.

Please help me if you can, find out to make my cache the only one that the user sees.

Thanks!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinShipman
Deactivated User
Well, I believe I have to use a work around. AGOL won't allow me as far as I know to create a web map without at least one Esri base map in it. What I can do is use a very small 'basemap' and make it completely transparent so that all you see is m tile service. Any of the reference layers e.g. 'Light Gray Canvas World Reference Layer' can be added as basemap and then I make it transparent. Now user only waits for my basemap to quickly draw and sees nothing else. FYI
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You should be able to use your own custom basemap. When you add a layer you need to check the option to use as basemap. Only web layers (e.g., from arcgis server, WMS) can be made to be the basemap. Also, if you're trying to make a basemap that goes into the basemap gallery of your organization, only the basemap layer is used, no layers on top of it.

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/choose-basemap.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_5EA1869127A74F19...

Thanks

Mike
KevinShipman
Deactivated User

Mike,

Thanks, I see that I can make my cache service a basemap. The interface is a little different: I open up a web map, search for the tile cache service, and then I have to click the title of the service and add as basemap. A little different than how I would add various other standard or Esri basemaps. That's where I was confused.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos