Update Default Map View, New Map Viewer

Jump to solution
05-16-2023 09:47 AM
Labels (1)
AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

I am using the new map viewer for creating web maps and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to update the default map view; that is, the extent that is zoomed to when the "Home" button is clicked.

I've read that this can be done in the "Set Extent" in the web map settings page BUT 1) it's not working and 2) my layers don't appear in that view so I can't know where or how far zoomed in I need to be. This workflow is clunky and results in so much extra work.

Sometimes the extent is saved when I save the web map but that doesn't happen every time.

Anyone have any insights?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

In map viewer, just navigate to the extent you want and save the map.

Then, opening the map will open to the saved extent and  pressing the Home button takes you to the saved extent also.

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

In map viewer, just navigate to the extent you want and save the map.

Then, opening the map will open to the saved extent and  pressing the Home button takes you to the saved extent also.

R_

AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

If it only worked like that every time...

I had to do the above workflow twice to get it to "stick." Stinks that you have to close out of the map and reopen just to see if it worked.

Would be a nice fix on the next update!

mikAMD
by
Occasional Contributor III

This is insane. Solution works for me, but if I change something else in my map, I have to remember to zoom out/at correct extent so that "default map view" is always the same. This should be a parameter that you can change regardless of changes to the map.