Unsharing items from a group

09-14-2017 03:04 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

I tried to to change wonership of some items but it said because they were shared with a group with update capabilties, I couldn't unshare them.

I went to the items sharing properties and the only items on offer were to unshare from organisation and everyone. I did this but still in the sharing list it had the group. However the group didn't appear in this list of things to unshare from?

Where would I find the option to unshare from the group?

I eventually resolve it my removing the member of the group but what would I have done if I didn't wish that member to leave the group?

6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It sounds like you resolved the issue, but I would recommend looking at the ArcGIS API for Python‌ and the samples for administering AGOL/Portal  index | ArcGIS for Developers    you can actually test the samples and environment out without having to install.  I use the sample (modified for my org) for viewing users, and moving an old (former) user's content to another admin account so I can remove the user, but there are many more possibilities with the API.

There are some good videos from the dev summit and UC that are worth a look, if you are interested in seeing what the API can do.

arcgis api for python - YouTube 

if you can't access YouTube, they are also available on videos.esri.com

E360 Video Search | Esri Videos 

I did a search for "arcgis api for python" in both sites, just in case the links doesn't search/filter.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

To remove an Item from an update capabilities group, go to the content pane, click the item and under the share dropdown, select Access and Update Capabilities. Using this option will make update groups appear in the share dialog.

-Kelly 

TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

What is the different between the update capabilities group and the share/unshare options?

0 Kudos
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Kelly,

I have this problem and I’m looking at the item in question and I do not see a “share dropdown”, only a share button which pops up the dialog that only includes Everyone and my organization. No mention of the group with which it’s shared or “Access and Update Capabilities.”

Any suggestions?

— Andy

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Andy,

Is this an item that you own? Do you own any groups or are a member who can contribute to any groups? If you are able to share with Everyone and the Organization, it sounds like the share dialog is working correctly but there are no available groups.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
GiselleArismendiBaena
New Contributor

I recently had the same issue and none of the answers bellow worked for me . I was just trying to remove items from a group I own . To remove these items , I went to the group and selected content . I then selected each item by placing the mouse on the item’s picture left upper corner . Once you select all items , the “ remove from group “  option appears on the right upper corner . 

0 Kudos