Select to view content in your preferred language

Types of feature service schema changes which break Field Maps syncing

03-11-2024 09:46 AM
Labels (2)
gis-technician-1
New Contributor

My organization utilizes Field Maps for both viewing and collecting geographic data in the field, and frequently in remote areas without cellular service. For these situations, we use the Offline Map Area and Syncing capabilities in Field Maps.

What I'd like to find out is what types of schema changes, if any, can be made to layers while offline areas are "checked out" without breaking the ability for staff to sync their field data later.

I know that changing the schema of a layer which is actively being utilized for field data collection is a no-no, but what about other layers in the map which are only being used for reference and not being edited in the field?

Here's a hypothetical scenario:

I create a field map with two layers. One layer, PropertyBoundary, is a reference layer which field staff use to orient themselves in the the field. The other layer, FieldObservations, is a field data collection layer, which staff use to collect points and photos in the field.

At the beginning of the day, field staff create an offline map area in the app to visit a property without cell service. They go to property and begin collecting field data.

That same day I decide to add a new field to the PropertyBoundary layer. I add the field and populate it with attributes.

At the end of day, field staff return to the office and click in the Field Map app to sync the data they collected.

Will the sync succeed in this scenario? Or do all schema changes for layers which are a part of offline map area need to happen during off-hours when the app isn't being used?

0 Kudos
0 Replies