Select to view content in your preferred language

Trying to set up symbology based on two fields in AGOL

07-05-2024 08:10 AM
ElaineBarr
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a map on AGOL for use in field maps that will have symbology based on two fields. The Status I would like to be different colors for Complete, Unsurveyed, and Other - as I currently have it:

ElaineBarr_1-1720191925934.png

However, I would like the "Primary" Type points to have a different shape (star?) than the Alternates so the folks in the field can more easily differentiate that point from others (they will usually be conducting the survey at the Primary point, with the alternates as backups in case conditions are not good at the Primary)

ElaineBarr_0-1720190597303.png

I think there is probably a way to do this using Arcade, but I can't figure it out. 

Thank you for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, this is possible, just a little tedious. To do symbology on two fields, the platform assumes the second field is numeric, but you really just want another way to categorize, which we can do with Arcade. Set your symbology expression to something like this, replacing the field names as needed:

return Iif(
  $feature['Type'] == 'Primary',
  $feature['Status'] + ' - ' + 'Primary',
  $feature['Status']
)

This will give you a list of categories like

• Complete
  • Complete - Primary
  • Unsurveyed
  • Unsurveyed - Primary
  • Other
  • Other - Primary

The tedious part is that you have to configure each of those categories manually. There's no easy way to get the shape based on one field and color on another.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can do multi string fields with Pro and the web map will honor the web map renderer but we currently do not support it in Map Viewer styling OOTB so you will not be able to update or make changes without losing the existing styling created in Pro. This is on our roadmap to support though. 

0 Kudos