True Curves in ArcGIS Online

08-30-2023 01:37 PM
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

I published a hosted feature service the other day in ArcGIS Online and it published true curves or at least an approximation of true curves.  Thereafter, I published some additional hosted feature services based on the same source data but with some features copied to new layers.  I just noticed that true curves are displayed as chords.  In the same map based on the same source data, I have one service with what looks like true curves and one with chords.  How did I get here?

I did some searching but it seems to indicate that AGOL converts converts true curves to straight line approximations.  Still, I don't see why the same map would publish differently on two different days.  I can't find any settings related to this on the services or in the publishing tools.

Please help.  I at least need something that looks like a circular arc.  I did try densifying the features, but then they wouldn't publish.

Thanks,
Nathan

5 Replies
KoryFewell1
New Contributor II

I too noticed all the polyline curves for my streets are now chords. I publish my data from a File Geodatabase using python scripts so I'm not sure when this started happening. Any older published features display fine.

0 Kudos
BrantSollis2
New Contributor III

Just chiming in to echo the confusion here.  Layers that have historically appeared fine are showing straight lines where they shouldn't be, and some features aren't drawing on the map all together.  

We have stumbled across a workaround that involves updating the data from a zipped geodatabase after it is published, but that isn't a good long term solution. Still struggling to understand the root cause. 

NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

My suspicion is that Esri changed something in ArcGIS Online.  My workaround was to densify the features less before publishing.  This probably needs a support ticket.

0 Kudos
BrantSollis2
New Contributor III

We went down the support ticket route, but didn't get very far before they claimed it was expected behavior.  However, another user got a bug report for the issue.  It seems that they fixed the bug in yesterday's ArcGIS Online update, as I am now seeing my line segments approximated as curves like they did before.  Hopefully it fixed the issue for you all as well. 

0 Kudos
KoryFewell1
New Contributor II

Thanks for letting me know. It seems to be working fine now.

0 Kudos