Select to view content in your preferred language

Trouble with adding layers from ArcGIS Online

08-09-2010 08:03 PM
CyrusM
by
New Contributor
Hello everyone!

My problem is that I can't seem to properly open/add a layer I find on ArcGIS Online. I used ArcMap to connect online and when I try to add...it only shows a broken link (red exclamation mark) next to my layer. Another problem is that I get the error "Error Reading Package Contents".

I don't know what else to do. I even turned off the firewall.

Here are the specs:

ArcGIS 9.3.1 Education Edition - SP2 Education Edition
Firefox 3.5.11
Windows Vista Home Basic

I have the program installed in an external HDD just to save space on my laptop. Everything else works fine...except for this thing.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There was an issue where packages were not being opened properly. This was addressed, I believe, in 9.3.1 service pack 2. However, I don't know how service packs relate to the Education Edition. Your best bet is to call technical support and have them help you out.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristinaHupy
New Contributor
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem at ArcGIS 10.
0 Kudos
AmberTurnquest
New Contributor
I'm having the same problem with 10 as well.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Cyrus,

Can you share a link or two of some of the content you can not open?
Does all content from ArcGIS.com fail to open, or just some?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It's possible that the layer package doesn't actually contain the necessary data. Here's how you can check:

In ArcMap, display the layer properties of the layer in question with the exclaimation point. Click the Source tab and look at the pathname to the data. I suspect it might be referencing a local SDE geodatabase.  This layer package will never display properly because it doesn't contain the data. When the person created it, they specified that the data should not be included; there is a checkbox that must be checked when creating the package that says: "Include ArcSDE Geodatabase data". If this is not checked, the layer package won't contain the data.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RyanIrwin
New Contributor II
Im having a similar problem.  This just started happening.  I am trying to add the Imagery basemap to ArcMap 9.3.1 and I get the following error.

"
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

�??
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<RequestId>91177BDD77BA066F</RequestId>
<Expires>2010-10-18T19:03:05Z</Expires>
�??
<HostId>
maW3qCK0s88wCMHJEA9gpHQvoTqFokVFjDXsTusgNBPlUPQ7KohBIgFkbd8eBmgX
</HostId>
<ServerTime>2010-10-18T20:01:55Z</ServerTime>
</Error>
"

I use this Imagery basemap all the time and this just started happening.  Tried rebooting to no avail.  Any suggestions?  All other ArcGIS online content still works fine.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RyanIrwin
New Contributor II
This just corrected itself on its own the next day.  Not sure what was happening but all is working now.
0 Kudos
PaulCook
New Contributor
I first got this error message on Oct 19 while trying to access the 'Imagery' data from the 'Online Resource Center' through the 'File' menu in Argis (ArcInfo) 9.3

I had no problems on the next day but now I am getting the error message.

The other data seems to work.  I added the 'World Street Map' successfully.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Ryan, Paul,

Thanks for reporting this problem. We have identified the problem on our end and it should be fixed by tonight. Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos