temporal dimension (z) arcscene

10-18-2019 06:03 AM
edwinterrell
New Contributor II

I have a csv file of points/times which I uploaded to ArcMap, converted to a line, and saved as a shapefile.  I brought it into ArcScene to 3D map it but I can only see the line.  Nothing else.  The TA has suggested that I didn't specify temporal dimension (Z) when converting csv file to point feature layer. Also the need to convert the time into seconds or hours before doing that.  Can anyone help with how to do this?  This is as far as I could progress.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cross-posting to the 3D‌ community. 

0 Kudos
edwinterrell
New Contributor II

I’ll give that a shot, Peter. Thanks!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Edwin- this will sound like odd advice, but as an ecologist turned crime analyst, I'm going to recommend the Crime Analysis Solution for Pro which will accomplish exactly what you're looking at doing here.  The similarity between the use cases will be an easy bridge to cross, and you'll find some additional usefulness in that free toolbar (Kernel density comparisons, Signal triangulation).  You're mapping stork movement behavior, and this is intended to work though the process displaying victim/offender movement behavior as z-extruded time by whatever factor you choose.  
Features To 3D By Time - Crime Analysis | ArcGIS Solutions for Local Government 
Chris Delaney Walter Potts