Symbology ArcGIS Online / Portal with Arcade

04-24-2018 11:56 AM
KarstenRank
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

I found it impressive to use the new language Arcade, for symbology or labelling in ArcGIS Online / Portal.

We have now the following problem:

If I create a symbology depending on 2 fields and concatenate them to one value for symbology with Arcade, the symbolgy disappears in the map and feature tempate and nly a black point is shown!

Our feature service has its own feature template from the concateneted fields, but if editing the created symbols (markers) are not shown?

Does someone has any ideas why this happens?

Greetings,

Karsten

5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you share your web map? If not, I'd suggest getting in contact with technical support.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
KarstenRank
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Karsten Rank ,

What I think is happening is that there is no support for the edit templates to be based on a "virtual field" created with an Arcade expression. I can imagine that you would like to select a concatenated value and that this would fill the two fields it is based. Is that what you want to achieve?

You can use the field calculation and create a actual field for the concatenated values (for which you could define a domain with the accepted values) and create two expressions to extract both parts from this field. That would work.

0 Kudos
KarstenRank

I want to create a symbology depending on two field on the flow.. E.g. if you have five different layers with 20 different symbols, the editor widget is overloaded with 100 symbols. 

So my idea was to show only a standard symbol and by changing the attributes, the symbol should change.

Is it possible to publish a field calculation with ArcGIS Pro to a Portal feature service?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Karsten Rank ,

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you want to publish a layer that has a dynamic calculation inside of it, you might want to look at attribute rules. With calculation attribute rules you can have a trigger that the creation of a new feature starts the calculation of a field based on other fields automatically. 

More info here:

0 Kudos