Specify TimeZone for popups/attributes in arcgisonline maps

04-08-2014 07:19 AM
AshakaThakore1
New Contributor II
I have created a map on our arcgisonline account... It has layer which has some attributes of the date-type.... When I click on any point of that layer, it popups the window with attributes, now all the date-time values in that popup are displayed in PST(Or some other timezone).. How can I set it to display date-time values in timezone - EST?
How do I specify timezone in ArcGIS Online?

thanks
Tags (2)
34 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Trip McLaughlin

When you publish a CSV file, via Add Item from my computer on the Content tab, you can specify the time zone your time data is collected in. The option is at the bottom of the dialog. The default value is UTC.

0 Kudos
TripMcLaughlin
New Contributor II

Thanks. We are adding the csv through a python script since it's being consumed from machine controls and not using the add item or drag and drop. Its overwritten every 15 minutes to update the data. Guess we'll have to see what we can do with the script. Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Trip,

You can do this by including a the following publishing parameters in the publish call in the REST API or ArcGIS API for Python.

Include the time zone in which your data is using.

"dateFieldsTimeReference": {
"timeZone": "Pacific Standard Time (Mexico)" 
}

-Kelly

KeithReed
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue with the time settings.

I have a hosted feature service that is shared with members of my professional community all around the globe.

When analysts are putting the data into the layer, they are referencing information reports that give the time of the event in UTC+0, or what we call "Zulu" time. We do this because the community has agreed to use a standard time zone for all reporting to avoid confusion. No matter what time zone you are in locally, the event will be reported uniformly as "0700Z(ulu)."

When the analysts copies the time from the report, he unwittingly is putting the wrong time, as the system is assuming he means local time.

My need is two fold:

A) I need to be able to run the layer on a uniform time zone of UTC+0

B I need the time to display for all analysts around the world in UTC+0 and not in their respective local time zones.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Keith Reed

While the hosted service stores dates in epoch time, UTC, date fields will always show in the local time in a web browser. That's because the web browser converts dates to local time.

Here's something that I thought of that may work for you. I added a new string field to my layer and used the field SQL (not Arcade) calculate option (On the data tab) to calculate the my stringDate field equal to the date field. The result was that the stringDate field contained the UTC date value as a string. I was then able to edit the string value of the date and then calculate the date field equal to my stringDate field. Since the calculation happens on the server. it's all in UTC time, as the server does no timezone conversion. The server seems to handle the data type conversion automatically (date to string and back). This approach will require you to periodically calculate the date field as edits are made to the stringDate field. Just an idea.

Mike

0 Kudos