Sort Domain Alphabetically in ArcGIS Online

06-22-2021 08:11 AM
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Hello all. I've got a Coded Value list of street names in and AGOL feature service. The list has grown to over 1200 and as a matter of convenience, I'm tired of having to scroll to drop the new value in its appropriate location. Anyone have a fix to sort the list of of values with a couple of clicks? 

31 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

@JoeBorgione , I can attest to the scale of using all street names. I've had to map out the street names manually of Rio Rancho, NM before and it is a time consuming task and can definitely leave room for errors or misspellings. I like the idea of a type field where you can type it out and be given a list in addition to a set domain. Nominally a geolocator which draws from a hosted feature service of a streets database has been the closest I've encountered to this but I am not sure it would solve @JasonBritton1 's inquiry specifically. Whether the ESRI solution or your own geocoding I don't think there is a short solution for how quickly that type of feature can grow to scale, although I am very curious how since I've used both the geolocators and solutions. 

It's when you get to 700,000 fields on a parcel domain is when you really stretch scale and time lol. Always good to be an optimist in GIS, there's always a bigger dataset. Haha XD

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for spelling accuracy for street names. I just have to wonder if a post-processing event that looks at spellings and provides an error list wouldn't be a better approach.  In my area of operation we have numbered streets as well as named streets, so you might type in 100, but the street you are looking for is 10060 so that's a long list to plow through.

The Data Reviewer comes to mind, but even that uses a domain to basically check spelling. I'd opt for for some sort of search cursor that compares every [new] entry to a list of names and if it finds it, great, otherwise return the incorrect spelling and a warning.  How often is the domain updated?  Do the field workers ever enter new street names that may not yet appear in the domain?

That should just about do it....
GIS_Fox

@JoeBorgione sure thing, and there are definitely applications where this is far easier than strict naming parameters. I hadn't thought about the data reviewer yet since the strict naming has been considered common practice throughout the field. I really like that idea and am glad to hear about that option. I was just sifting through options I knew about that could offer a solution or explanation, it's this very reason why I am making mental note of different solutions to the same problem in case one works over the other. Please don't feel I was passing on your input in any way if that is what you meant, it's definitely not easy giving texts/posts the same kind of amiable humor as with in-person discussion. It makes absolute sense to have numbered street names as well, and I am impressed it would go as high as 10060 and can find a lot of similarities to where I live/work for this to consider in my own work. I am definitely taking notes and giving myself a reading list to go into on downtime. I need more travel and coffee lol.

Somewhere I put the data reviewer with the MXD doctor box of tools so I'm sure it's another item I need to review out of this discussion. We enter new streetnames as they are built in new subdivisions and host a selected feature layer for individual project needs usually. I haven't had the need to do these list or dropdown functions just yet as Jason is outlining, but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't soon enough. I look forward to your and @JasonBritton1 's response. 

Cheers! 🙂 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

We enter new streetnames as they are built in new subdivisions

Which is exactly what we do, but the problem there with the ESRI Solution is the domain gets changed with each new entry, and only the domain owner can change a domain in an Enterprise GDB.  If you have more than one editor logging on, that won't work.

Please don't feel I was passing on your input in any way if that is what you meant

That's really the beauty of this forum: the advice is free so you get what you pay for!   😉

GIS_Fox

Hi @JoeBorgione , absolutely. It's great to interact with everyone and I can definitely agree.

but the problem there with the ESRI Solution is the domain gets changed with each new entry, and only the domain owner can change a domain in an Enterprise GDB.  If you have more than one editor logging on, that won't work.

This one hits the mark, if @JasonBritton1  you are encountering this, you have my sympathy as well. It's a difficult workaround for the database/feature service aspect of the workflow. If you're having to do a schema overhaul with every update, this has also been a heartache for many organizations I've interacted with. There may be an overwrite way to solve this on the personal content end with updates to the domain being done on the admin end or with overwrite personal copies of data, but that would be tricky and may involve more than I am aware of. Hopefully your end is not so complicated as these. Eager to hear more, as always thanks for the topic and everyone who's involved.

God bless,

JL

JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

One gripe I've got with AGOL is that you don't have full functionality of the feature services that you have with feature classes or shape files,  when working with them in ArcGIS Pro. Seems to me that it would be logical to edit the domain of a feature service when it was viewed in Desktop or Pro. 

JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Right now its updated 2 days a week. I'm in an area of extreme growth. Its growing so fast that ESRI is way behind on keeping up with new roads, and for some reason they didn't want centerline updates for our service area, and instead only wanted county wide updates - but I digress. We don't allow field workers to add new streets because we have to keep it consistent for billing and service request orders. 

GIS_Fox

Agreed on AGOL, the new map viewer/editor has been in the final stages of beta and so far some bridged some of these function gaps however. I haven't played around with it too much but it sounds like they've got a lot planned for future releases this and next year.

The ESRI Community Maps program may be a good way to go if you haven't gone that route already since growth is so fast. It's about the same locally for me. Google has about 6 months turn around for responses and they have not been good about keeping to the naming we give on centerline data when we use the data upload program through them. Everyone's taxed for time and effort post pandemic and perhaps even before. Sounds about right though. Are there any open tags or ideas on the AGOL board here in the community for alphabetizing dropdowns. I'll give my kudo in a heartbeat if it is. If not I would highly recommend an overhaul idea be offered on the ideas board for AGOL with alphabetizing drop downs and quick feature addition functions. If there's a big enough need in the community it'll be a good feature to consider.

JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Used to be in the Community group and submitted some updates. Then ESRI asked for a county wide update, and I explained to them that my office only covered the unincorporated of the county. After that they said no thanks to community maps submissions. They wanted all or nothing, instead of partial updating. Weird situation if you ask me. 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That is odd; I am in the exact same situation and just signed up our agency for the community maps program.  Perhaps I need to email them and clarify our area of operations.