Select to view content in your preferred language

Sidebar Instant App display issue on Android 14 with Search Tool Interaction

Jump to solution
04-15-2024 06:46 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello - For the Sidebar Instant App, I discovered that any new sidebar apps created since the February update have a display issue on the Android 14 OS, In my case a Pixel 8 Pro with the April 5, 2024 security update.

When interacting with the search>map layer>popup, the return 'cuts' the display in half on the device:

SolidWasteApp_build_date_04122024_search.png

When just interacting with the Map only> tap:

SolidWasteApp_build_date_04122024_No_search.png

Sidebar apps built before the February update have no issue with either map tap>popup or search>map layer>popup:

HalfSectionLocator_build_date_01082024.png

There is not issue with the iOS at 14 or 15

@KellyHutchins 

Thanks -

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the extra info. I tested it with the Android Studio device emulator and can't reproduce but I'm trying to find an actual device to test with.  A colleague has a Google PIxel 6 and can't repro with that device. 

Can you test on your device in incognito mode and let me know if the behavior is the same? It might also be worth clearing your cache then re-testing. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyHutchins

@DavidColey With instant apps each individual app you create is just a JSON file that defines the settings so apps created before and after the release are pointing to the same source code. This means that the issue you are seeing is most likely due to a setting that is enabled after but not before. The most likely culprit for this is the "Classic Panel" setting that was disabled for this release. Can you try enabling the "Classic Panel" setting in the configuration experience and see if that resolves the issue you are seeing on the Pixel?  

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes thanks for getting back on this @KellyHutchins  - I thought that might be the case as I've been following the other threads on this app, for both portal and online.  I tried both 'classic' and default for the panel - the behavior remains.

I did just do an install of Firefox on the Pixel and I do not see the behavior.  I tired Edge on the device and the issue exists, same as Chrome... since both of those are 'Chromium' maybe that is related.

Here is a link to an app where I do not encounter the issue - a ''half section locator' designed to help the survey community find 'half-section survey sheets by entering a parcel id and return info based on the 'half section' layer in the map by Arcade Intersect. If you begin to enter one of our parcel ids 2027070041 you can see.

https://sarco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/sidebar/index.html?appid=d55aec4f12fa4b4187065af4e43568ad

Then I have Solid waste pickup day app that basically does the same thing - returns your solid waste pickup day based on a Solid Waste Zone layer in the map.  Here you can enter an address 1001 Sarasota Center Blvd and the search will find it on the fully-indexed 'full address' attribute in the parcel layer.

https://sarco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/sidebar/index.html?appid=d64ce89561a64f92be884ff8bbc6eb1f

This is an app I stood up on Friday and does exhibit the behavior.  

Both apps work just fine when interacting with map taps.  It just seems to be related to the search interaction, when returning the info by search.  Both apps behave as expected on the desktop....

thanks for the feedback...

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Thanks for the extra info. I tested it with the Android Studio device emulator and can't reproduce but I'm trying to find an actual device to test with.  A colleague has a Google PIxel 6 and can't repro with that device. 

Can you test on your device in incognito mode and let me know if the behavior is the same? It might also be worth clearing your cache then re-testing. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yeah that's crazy.  I normally am clearing browser cache several times a day for 'all time' with everything being cleared, form entries, etc.  I did that again, and then went into the device's Settings > Apps >Chrome and cleared the Cache from the 'Storage & Cache' area. 

I then went into incognito mode, copied in a link, performed a search, and the behavior is not present.  So that's good.

But, after repeating those steps again, I opened a link back into 'regular' tab mode and the behavior re-appears.  So not so good . . . but I do now have something to tell mobile users on Android.  Hopefully it's one of those things that disappears with the next Chrome update on Android.

0 Kudos