Show points within a polygon

06-27-2017 08:51 AM
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

I have a large list of point data and I am attempting to show only what falls within a another layer of polygons (Country Boundaries). I would be happy with it creating it's own 3rd layer or just being able to create a filter view of some type that only shows points in the polygon. Is this possible? even with all the data analysis tools I can't do something that I would think should be pretty simple to do? Thanks for any help provided!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could select the points by Using Select By Location—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop . 

Use appropriate method for selection (Target layer within the source layer).

Once the points are selected, Right-click the Point layer (in Table of Contents) > Data > Export Data.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

Jayanta, Thanks for taking the time to respond. My problem is that I don't have ArcGIS for Desktop and didn't want to install it unless there was no other way to do this. It seems though that I may be forced to if there is no way to do it in AGOL on it's own.

0 Kudos
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

In the end, I was able to get something I could use by employing the Analysis>Analyze Patterns>Find Hot Spots tool vs the 2 layers. This allowed me to only show the points within the boundary of the World Countries layer I had added to the map. I tried several visualizations and liked this one the best of them all.  

0 Kudos
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi James,

I think it's a really nice visualization!

However, if you're still looking for a solution, I think this is the analysis tool you should use in Online:

Find Existing Locations—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

In Find Existing Locations tool, you can use Spatial Queries, which means that you can select all those points which "completely within" the target polygon layer.

JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

Thank you Xiaolong, I will take a look. It is always good to learn more about visualization and different ways to handle important data to get the most out of the story you are trying to tell. 

Update, I did this and added to the map and it really helps a great deal! Thanks again. 

0 Kudos