Shared data no download option

Jump to solution
07-20-2020 11:52 AM
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am the owner of an ArcGIS Online organizational account.  Somebody shared a Feature Collection in a group within my organization that I intend to download.  The person is essentially transferring the data to me, at which point i can add it to my Content and share with the group.  There is no option to download data directly on ArcGIS Online. I think this is a simple ownership level issue.   

On the Feature Layer page the options are:

View in SceneViewer or MapViewer or ArcGIS Desktop.  When I upload data to the group there is a download or save data option.  In this case in the Overview tab --> Sharing Level is set to 'Owner' of whom I am not.  It is owned by the guy who shared it.  How do I download this data?  

FYI I endeavored on this journey using ArcGIS package to get my  scripting reportoire operational.  Here is code 

```

my_org_gis = GIS(username = 'my_username', password = 'sssshh, secret')
# 5 is the feature id in my content
feature_collection = my_org_gis.content.get(5)
fp_download = 'path/to/download'
gdb_name = 'eagle.gdb'
result = feature_collection.export(gdb_name, 'File Geodatabase')
‍‍‍‍

```

And the meat of the error message:

---> RuntimeError: You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.
(Error Code: 403)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hey Zach,

It sounds like the Sharing Level for that particular layer may not be set appropriately.  If you can contact the data owner you can request that they change the Sharing Level to Everyone.  At the URL below you can find some additional information about sharing privileges in ArcGIS Online.  

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope this helps!

Lukas 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hey Zach,

It sounds like the Sharing Level for that particular layer may not be set appropriately.  If you can contact the data owner you can request that they change the Sharing Level to Everyone.  At the URL below you can find some additional information about sharing privileges in ArcGIS Online.  

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope this helps!

Lukas 

ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Thanks Lucas (not the first time you've solved my queries!). Marking this as the tentative solution.  Pretty sure that's my problem.  I'll update if I learn otherwise.

ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

UPDATE: It was indeed a Permissions issue, but a little more nuanced.  The gdb the guy was sharing needed to set Permissions to Organization AND share to my group: KRRP_Geospatial.  I think just the Organization was not sufficient for my purposes and Edit Group Sharing was necessary. 

Here are the screenshottted instructions:

ReubenWolff
New Contributor

I'm having a similar problem. I want to export and download the feature services in a shared group. The python script won't allow me to export any of the features that I am not the owner of. Although, I can do this manually, one by one, in AGOL. The features are all set to allow downloads ('Extract'). I am the owner of the group, but i am not an administrator. Do i need administrative rights?

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Reuben.  Sorry for the delay.  I'm definitely interested to hear how you solved this.  Odd that you can manually download the feature services but Python is not working - assuming that it's an AGOL issue and not Python (?).  If you want to post your script I'll take a peek.  If you solved it to I would be interested in the solution. 

Thanks!

Zach

0 Kudos
ReubenWolff
New Contributor

Hi Zachary,

I followed up this issue with Esri Premium Support, and after investigating, they determined that the issue was related to limitations of the Export Item module in ArcGIS Rest API. The Export Item API:

“Exports a service item (POST only) to the specified output format. Available only to users with an organizational subscription. Invokable only by the service item owner or an administrator.”

I was told this may be to prevent data scraping. They put in a request to address this issue with the development team.

So I have a couple of options.

Option 1 is an alternative code that iterates through the Group content, finds the Feature Services, creates a local fgdb and copies each layer (Feature Class to Feature Class) and table (Table to Table) into the fgdb. It then determines if there are any relationships using the layer or tables properties.relationships.

If a relationship exists, it attempts to re-create the relationship class. It’s a little tricky, but works most of the time. This code works on content that is shared with me but that I don’t own, and seems to work even if the settings are not set to allow others to download.

Option 2 is to use the original code, but have the owners take the responsibility of backing up their own content.

I will probably use a combination of both, depending on the situation. If the API is updated, I will go back to the original code.

Thank you,

Reuben

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Reuben,

Sounds like a necessary workaround but frustrating.  I would be curious what your code looks like if you don't mind posting a sample.  I am fervently hacking away at Python ArcGIS API to some success with basic functions.  However I am 90% certain I encountered a bug that seems consistent with other wierd behavior I've noticed.  This from the GIS module, specifically content.search.  I hate how running the same search returns items in random orders each time.  Now my task was to first upload shapfiles, then publish.  In that process I uploaded shapfiles and published chunks at a time based off of tags. Anyways, I am going to put that post up in the form of a question prob over the weekend and I'll throw a link up here to see what you think.  I need to read more background but is the Python API Open Source?  

Thanks for the response and the breakdown of the interesting workflow,

Zach

0 Kudos