Select to view content in your preferred language

Share a Hosted Feature Layer's Attributes and Not Geometry?

Jump to solution
07-03-2024 04:13 PM
kawakawa4
New Contributor III

I have a data dashboard containing no maps, that I would like to make public for a website. I have created views of hosted feature layers and set the sharing of these views to public.

Is there a way to make only the attributes of the feature  public, not the geometry? I ask this because in ArcGIS Pro, the views are visible in the ArcGIS Online tab of the catalogue, and anyone with a Pro license can access the geometry of the features (I logged in with a different account to check this):

kawakawa4_0-1720048146993.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

With a hosted layer, I don't think this is possible. The view can only be configured to add/remove nullable fields from it, but not the geometry.

You should post this as an idea! I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be possible, since it's really just another column in the underlying SQL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

With a hosted layer, I don't think this is possible. The view can only be configured to add/remove nullable fields from it, but not the geometry.

You should post this as an idea! I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be possible, since it's really just another column in the underlying SQL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
kawakawa4
New Contributor III

I get the impression it's not possible too, but hoping there will be a way. I'll post it as an idea if ESRI can confirm it's not possible. 

A workaround will be to regularly export everything as a table and use the tables in the dashboard but this takes a away the 'live' aspect of the dashboard. 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

No it's not possible. You can only create views that hide attachments, fields or by editor (creator).

There are workarounds like publishing another dataset that you seem to be aware of.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm

0 Kudos