Set Reference Scale on Feature services?

Jump to solution
03-22-2017 07:46 AM
DavidBoiano1
New Contributor II

I am trying to figure out how to make a feature service recognize the set reference scale for symbols that was saved in the source mxd file.  Is this possible?  I have been able to publish a map service and have the reference scale hold, but when I enable the Feature Access capability and test zooming in on the hosted feature layers, the symbols to not recognize a reference scale. Is this a configuration that can be set in the web map or in another location that I am missing? I am publishing from ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 and I have tested this locally with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 through ArcGIS Online as well as a hosted AGOL feature service. Neither seem to work.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi David,

Scale Reference as you've described is not supported on the service of feature services nor has the functionality been built into the Map Viewer client. In order to enable this functionality currently, you can look into setting the symbology in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro and publishing a tiled layer that incorporates the reference scale set.

If you require feature access, which it looks like with the network trace tool, you can look at adding multiple versions of the same layer that have the appropriate scale set, using scale visibility to control when the layer is visible and not in the map viewer.

I see you've already supported the following idea but I will post it so others can easily find it too: https://community.esri.com/ideas/12136

-Kelly

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KellyGerrow

You can also set this in the web map. Check out this article for more information: Set visible range—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

RaúlFernández
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

Thxs for your answer but i have the same problem and I think that is not what we are looking for.

Your link explains how to set the ranges of visibility, but what we want is for the feature service to recognize the set reference scale of the symbols as the map service does.

Greetings,

0 Kudos
DavidBoiano1
New Contributor II

Hi Raul, that's correct. I am not looking for visible range.... I am talking about reference scale for symbols.  I still have not found the answer for this so I am assuming it is not possible, for whatever reason.  My workaround was to add the layers from my feature service into the basemap (because the basemap holds the reference scale) and then turn the feature layers symbols to fully transparent. This solves my problem where the symbols still look big when zoomed in, but the actual feature that is being traced or clicked on from the feature service is invisible, on top of the drawn symbol on the basemap. The only problem remaining is that now my symbols show up on the Legend or Layer List invisible as well.

RaúlFernández
New Contributor II

Hi David, That is a good idea.  Unfortunately I think your solution also affects the editing widget since as far as I know this widget takes the settings of the editable layers.

So if you put the layers of the feature service without symbology when you start to edit with the widget the layer´s templates also appear without simbology which prevents you from editing comfortably.

0 Kudos
DavidBoiano1
New Contributor II

Good point. I'm not editing so I didn't even think of that. I'm using the feature service in a web app for a network trace so it serves my purposes okay, but not ideally. Hopefully we can get a response from ESRI to better understand the limitations of feature services.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi David,

Scale Reference as you've described is not supported on the service of feature services nor has the functionality been built into the Map Viewer client. In order to enable this functionality currently, you can look into setting the symbology in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro and publishing a tiled layer that incorporates the reference scale set.

If you require feature access, which it looks like with the network trace tool, you can look at adding multiple versions of the same layer that have the appropriate scale set, using scale visibility to control when the layer is visible and not in the map viewer.

I see you've already supported the following idea but I will post it so others can easily find it too: https://community.esri.com/ideas/12136

-Kelly