Serial chart - remove null value graphing?

04-08-2021 09:37 AM
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

Hi all - looked for an answer to this but I can't find the right one. Seems basic - I have a serial graph (line) shown below. I have several time periods during which data wasn't collected (gaps). In the spreadsheet, those are blank cells (graph is based on a CSV I upload as a hosted layer). I don't want to show the blank values as this misleads the viewer into thinking that there was a drop in concentration - when in fact I just don't have data for that time period. 

I tried using a filter for null values but this didn't give me what I was looking for - perhaps I'm doing it wrong? Also, this seems like a basic thing - don't interpolate between values (it's not set up as a 'smoothed' line type). Just don't show anything. Can anyone help? I'd share the actual dashboard, but it's for a client that doesn't want that to happen. Thanks in advance. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 12.31.45 PM.png

7 Replies
durus5995
New Contributor II

To fix this for my serial chart I added a category selector to a header.  When I configured it I loaded the categories which did not pull in the blank or the null values.  Then I added an action to filter my chart.

0 Kudos
EOSEcology
New Contributor

I have a similar issue with a bar chart.  It is for species count and I do not want to show the species in the chart if the count is null.  It's very similar to what can be done with the pop-ups in not showing values if they are null.  Is there a way to exclude bar chart categories from the x axis if their value is null?  This is being used in combination with a category selector btw.

0 Kudos
AHSGISStaff1
New Contributor

Hello, I have a similar issue now. Were you able to find a suitable workaround?

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

Did you try the solution I posted in my Update? See below perhaps. Basically I delete the zeroes, they come in as true NULLs in Arc, then you toggle Connect Gaps OFF. Voila. 

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

Update:

So this is what I did to 'fix' this issue.

Where I had '0' values, I delete them - so they are 'null'. Then when setting up the Serial Chart under 'Series' for each data category to be charted, you simply click the 'Connect Gaps' toggle to off.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 10.22.49 AM.png

It's unfortunate that there isn't a setting to ignore zeroes or something - but this works perfectly well and could be done in Excel or what have you. 

Matgeo
by
New Contributor

Hi! I've got the same issue but it looks like the "Connect Gaps" toggle is no longer an option in the serial chart. Have you experienced this as well? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

Hi - I just checked this out to see if it had changed - it has not (at least for me) - see below for a screenshot from today of my serial chart setup options from my dashboard. The Connect Gaps toggle is still there - you have to go into the settings for the chart, choose 'Series' and then choose the dataset for which you want to toggle 'Connect Gaps'. Should be right below the chart 'Type' option. Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos