Selecting a feature in a web map highlights a totally different feature

05-18-2021 06:13 AM
Labels (1)
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm getting reports from users that selecting a line on our web mapping application highlights what appears to be a different feature.

the popup shows the information associated with the correct feature, but the highlighted line seems to have little to no relation to the selected feature.

I verified that there are no other features that match the highlighted features - it's not like we're selecting lines from one feature class and highlighting lines from another.

I confirmed the behavior in Chrome and Firefox browsers and I see the same thing in the web mapping app and in web map viewer on Portal. selecting the same feature shows the same incorrect line on all browsers and in the web map/app.

the features are in a MapServer hosted on our ArcGIS Server and the web map and application lives on our Portal.

As far as I can tell this is new behavior - no one has reported it before today, anyway, although I have seen something similar on web app where polygons will render as weird geometric shapes immediately after I zoom in, but they always change to the regular shape before I can catch a screenshot

wilcow_0-1621342480585.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

we had something like this happen when we messed with the json for the web app using the AGO Assistant. I would check on the attribute table widget, the wires may have gotten crossed and it's referencing the wrong layer. 

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

That's what I was thinking, but there's no other layers that match the features that are being highlighted

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

if you change the basemap does that same zigzag line show up?
I would also look a the web page console to see if you can figure out what is being refrenced, might give some clues to the layer being selected.

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

good idea - I'll take a look

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I changed the basemap and still get the same result. interestingly, when I use the Select tool on the same feature, the selection and highlighted feature looks as expected:

wilcow_0-1621366744577.png

0 Kudos